cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop smart sync

New member | Level 2

I accidentally hit smart sync and now it's copying everything off my computer and i can't get it to stop. i can only get it to pause. I don't want my entire computer on dropbox and i need help getting it all back on my computer. and i'm super peeved that the only way i could ask dropbox a question (to an actual person) was to upgrade my account. so greedy! i had an account for years, but had to downgrade cause of covid and now i can't get help. shameful. If anyone here knows how to shut off sync and get my files out of db and back to my computer, i would greatly appreciate the assistance. thank you

1 Reply 1

Re: stop smart sync

Dropboxer

Hi @hrmocha; welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

Assuming that the desktop app is fully synced (showing 'Up to date' within your system tray/menu bar), you should be safe to quit the app and then uninstall it if you wish. 

At that point, all of the files you have synced to Dropbox will be inside your Dropbox folder. Once you unlink and uninstall the app from your computer, your Dropbox folder will be a local folder on your computer so you should be able to copy or move the files you want anywhere you like. 

On a side note, as you mentioned that your entire computer is on Dropbox, could it be that you enabled the computer backup feature upon installing the app?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?