cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

storage size

gerakir
Helpful | Level 5

How do I see which folders of mine are taking up the most space on Dropbox? Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: storage size

gerakir
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you. Photos, of course. It looked like I only had a few folders and not much in them, but photos accounted for 90% of my storage use.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Pikamander2
Super User

If you're using Windows, you can try out WinDirStat. The interface looks a bit outdated, but it's still one of the best options for folder size management.

Alternatively, using the File Explorer (Windows Explorer), you can search for an asterisk ( * ), which will bring up every file in your Dropbox. At that point, you can switch to Details view and sort by size.

Let me know if either of those options works.

gerakir
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks but I have a Macbook.

Advice please.

Walter
Dropboxer

In that case, apart from using your computer's OS to do this, you can calculate the size of your folders on our website @gerakir

Let us know if you have any more questions!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

gerakir
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you. Photos, of course. It looked like I only had a few folders and not much in them, but photos accounted for 90% of my storage use.

View solution in original post

Walter
Dropboxer

Glad to hear you managed to sort this out in the end @gerakir.

Let us know if you come up with any Dropbox questions in the future.

See you around the Community! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Sinzh
New member | Level 2

I keep seeing that there should be an option to calculate size under the ellipses for Dropbox app. 

But there is no ellispis (three dots in sequence) on the Windows 10 app when viewing folders unless the folder name is especially long (click that ellispis doesn't bring up a menu). If Dropbox is considering the 2 dashes found in the size collumn an ellispis ... well, there is no option in the menu that pops when you right click that says it will calculate size.

How do you calculate the size of folders if using the Windows 10 app?

Are we meant to do this while viewing dropbox files on a particular app? Browser? Device?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @Sinzh, thanks for joining us on this thread. 

The steps to calculating the size of folders, as mentioned in this article, is done through the website. 

Could you give them a try and let us know if you have any trouble along the way?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Morten S.6
New member | Level 2

Hi.

I followed the advice given in https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/space-storage/file-size using Firefox 92.0, however there is no such thing as 'Calculate Size' and there is also no such thing as a column describing the size. This is of course interesting only in relation to folder sizes.

Nevermind.

Solution: If you don’t see the Size column, click the dropdown arrow next to one of the column headers, and click Size.

Opinion: Not friendly UX.

/M

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Morten S.6 New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropboxer
    Sinzh New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropboxer
    gerakir Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?