cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suddenly slow downloads and folders are zipped (never before)

suddenly slow downloads and folders are zipped (never before)

Explorer | Level 3

I receive folders from other users via dropbox. They are 500MB-1TB in size. Once I add them to my Dropbox I can normally download them in a couple of minutes. They arrive as uncompressed folders in my Downloads folder.

Today the dowloads are taking 30-60 min and are arriving as zip files or with the extension  .zip.download.  Never had this before. When I double click to unzip they file disappears.

My internet connection is robust and working as it should. Any idea what's going on and how to get back to normal?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Re: suddenly slow downloads and folders are zipped (never before)

Dropboxer

Hey there @eliotphoto, I hope you're doing well today!

It would be expected that downloaded folders are compressed into .zip folders as mentioned in our Help Center article here. However, it seems there may be an issue with the downloads.

Can you try using an incognito/private browsing window to download the folder again to see if that helps? If not, please try using another web browser and even clearing the browser cache.

This will help us rule out most browser related issues occurring with the downloads here.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Daphne,

The problem resolved itself by the next day, so happily, no further issue at this time.

Your note about the files being zipped is correct, however when I download throigh Safari it presumably does an auto extraction and the files appear in my downloads as a native folder with no zip file lingering. If I download thorugh Chrome I do have a zip file to extract.

In this case, I suspect there was a problem within the dropbox server where my account is located. Neither Safari, nor Chrome were downloading properly or within the normal timeframe. After more than an hour to download roughy 500Gb (typically several minutes) the zip file was corrupt and unuseable.

Anyway - it's OK now. I'll update this if it happens again.  Thank you.

Eliot

Dropboxer

Hi @eliotphoto, glad to hear that the folders downloaded fine. Generally, it's worth noting that folders greater than 20 GB in size, or with more than 10,000 files, would not download correctly. The fact that folders of 500 GB are working fine is an anomaly in itself, unless this was a typo.

Enjoy your weekend!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?