cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

symlinks to my macs Documents folder

Highlighted

symlinks to my macs Documents folder

Helpful | Level 6

I have received an email regarding Dropbox "improving" how it handles symlinks, and some of my symlinks will stop syncing. I am a Mac user and I have been using symlinks to sync my Documents folders on my Mac desktop and laptop. And it works great, eveything is available on both machines. (I do not leave the Dropbox running all the time, I just launch it every few days to synch up.)

Keeping in mind that Macs don't allow you to move the Documents folder around, so putting it into the Dropbox folder is not an option, what is a workaround for me if Dropbox is going to remove my symlinks? I read the answer to a similar question, and it said to put the actual files into Dropbox. But as stated Macs will require me to have a Documant folder on my Mac.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: symlinks to my macs Documents folder

Super User II
Super User II

Don't use the Documents folder on the Mac. There's really no reason to. Just create a Documents folder within Dropbox and use that instead. You can use the same folder on both the laptop and desktop, and all your files will be in one location.

This is how Dropbox was intended to be used.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Don't use the Documents folder on the Mac. There's really no reason to. Just create a Documents folder within Dropbox and use that instead. You can use the same folder on both the laptop and desktop, and all your files will be in one location.

This is how Dropbox was intended to be used.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Excuse me, the mac will automatically use the Documents folder, and it will create one if you delete it from the mac. So I don't see how your sloution would work.

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@aerotech wrote:

... (I do not leave the Dropbox running all the time, I just launch it every few days to synch up.)

..., what is a workaround for me if Dropbox is going to remove my symlinks? ...

Hi @aerotech,

Actually, you give an answer to the question you have set, in advance.

If you don't change the way you use Dropbox, you don't have a problem.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for your reply. Why will it work if I just sync periodically? They are still not going to sync all my symlinks.

Highlighted

@aerotech wrote:

... Why will it work if I just sync periodically? ...

When Dropbox application works, at that time, it rely on "hooks" set on every one file/directory, which "fire signal" when something change. Such "hooks" aren't set after symlink! On application start everything is going scan and at that moment sync work even after symlinks.

@aerotech wrote:

... They are still not going to sync all my symlinks.

How you ascertiate this? Did you try restart Dropbox application, next last change after some link?

Hope this helps.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

How you ascertiate this? Did you try restart Dropbox application, next last change after some link?

Hope this helps.

That's what I was informed by Dropbox in their email to me yesterday. They are changing how they deal with symlinks, and I've been told that two will no longer sync.

Highlighted

@aerotech wrote:
That's what I was informed by Dropbox in their email to me yesterday. They are changing how they deal with symlinks, and I've been told that two will no longer sync.

I can't say anything about the conversation with Dropbox PR staff, I'm not part of. Did you check that what I have said above? Share what you find.

PS: Of course if your initial post don't represent exactly what you try achieve, only solution would be @Rich's suggestion.

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?