cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sync not working on one device (PC)

sync not working on one device (PC)

Tara F.4
Explorer | Level 4

Not sure where to post this but I'm a end of rope...

Until recently had no issues with dropbox on multiple devices.  (Dropbox Plus account)

Sync not working on one device (PC).  stuck syncing xxx files for hours/days. Other devices (3 PCs and several android devices) seem to be fine.  Number of files can vary after restart but never increments down and never finishes.

Can't pause the stuck syncing and it takes over all resources eventually locks up PC causing reboot. 

(Took dropbox out of start menu so the PC can be used w/o dropbox.)

Files/folders in Dropbox tree do not have any of the sync status  icons.

Have been trying to work with support via chat but its now been 2wks with the issue persisting - have current app version, have tried fixing hard links and permission, disabled antivirus (eset), logged out and in (somewhat forced on many occassions due to PC reboot.  Checked memory, checked drive space (plenty), plus other things suggested during chat.

Although ticket was supposedly bumped up, still no help so hoping someone out there has an idea!

have not yet tried "uninstalling/reinstalling" as not sure how to do this without either losing work done but not synced and/or ending up with duplicate files per other discussion topics.

So far have found a few other posts discussing similar issues (mostly MAC) but no clear solution (at least one was marked Solved when it clearly was not!)

9 Replies 9

Re: sync not working on one device (PC)

Chris_J
Super User

Hello Tara

So sorry you are having this issue.  Since it seems you had done practically everything, the only way I can help you is to get back to basic, even tho you obviously answered simple questions, but I don't see any other recourses or path to go on.

First off several questions:

what OS are you running on the PC that's has problems?

I would think you have, but have you reinstalled?  Did you do a clean install (special steps to start over)?

Have you tried a Beta client?

you mentioned you worked on Permissions.  Have you done these steps in this Help Center Article: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/stuck-syncing 

When you have time respond back and lets get on this road to a solution

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Tara F.4
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks so much for your reply Chris_J.  Really hoping you can help!  In response to your questions;

--what OS are you running on the PC that's has problems?

Windows 7 Home Premium; SP1; all updates installed,  No recent system (hardware or software) changes and Dropbox (DB) worked just fine until recently.

--I would think you have, but have you reinstalled?  Did you do a clean install (special steps to start over)?  Have you tried a Beta client?

Reinstalled DB?  Clean install?  Well…  Last month got red x on system tray icon on all PCs (can’t connect to internet).  DB chat support had me install beta version to resolve this (think that was ver113.3.427).  When I initially contacted DB chat two weeks ago regarding current issue on the one PC, the first thing I was instructed to do was install current stable version (was ver 112.4.321 but now showing ver 113.4.507) and turn off allow early release versions under settings.  Not sure if this answers your question.

--you mentioned you worked on Permissions.  Have you done these steps in this Help Center Article: https/help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/stuck-syncing 

Looked the article over – note that no sync errors/messages have been received/indicated. Ever.  Just sits there looking like it’s syncing (blue icon) but nothing happens. 

Followed instructions provided by DB chat to “Fix Hardlinks” and “Fix Permissions” (in that order) using Fix buttons reached via Preferences, Account tab.  As I recall fixing hardlinks was quick but permissions ran for a number of hours.  No apparent change/effect.

Tara

Chris_J
Super User

Try doing an advanced reinstall.  Procedures is shown in this article.  https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall 

this will reinstall settings and make it a fresh install. 

let me know if this helps

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Tara F.4
Explorer | Level 4

will give it a try but...

per instructions, before running an advanced reinstall:

If you use selective sync, take note of the preferences you applied.

• If you're on a headless version of Dropbox, access the list of selective sync folders by running "dropbox exclude list." Learn how.

Selective sync (and smartsync) is/was used BUT as noted previously, Dropbox isn't running because as soon as its opened it starts trying to sync and then locks everything up. Is there a way to get a list of excluded folders without opening the Dropbox app?  Or a way to start it without sync starting??  Also, will this reinstall maintain the smartsync settings?

I don't know what a headless version is so thought I'd look at the link regarding dropbox exclude list.  But that appears to be a Linux command so not helpful.

Chris_J
Super User

Hello Tara

Sorry, I don't have the answers that you would like.

@Tara F.4 wrote:

Is there a way to get a list of excluded folders without opening the Dropbox app?  Or a way to start it without sync starting?? 

I don't know of a way to get a list of excluded folders.  Maybe you would have to write down what folders are in your Dropbox folder    Also you may be able to click on pause at startup to pause syncing

Also, will this reinstall maintain the smartsync settings?

I afraid it will not retain settings it will go to the default settings.  I believe its online only is the default

I don't know what a headless version is so thought I'd look at the link regarding dropbox exclude list.  But that appears to be a Linux command so not helpful.

yes, its a way to control Dropbox without the GUI and using Terminal commands.  It wouldn't apply to you

I am an experienced user and used Dropbox for over 15 years.  I have come across different problems at first, but I had to do an Advanced reinstall and that fixes the problem.  If I were you, It would be worth it to do so.  But it's your workflow and PC.  It's up to you

I hope it will work for you and let me know

Tara F.4
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Chris -

Thanks for your reply.  At the same time as receiving it I heard from Dropbox team on my open ticket.  They asked that I disconnect the problem PC (sign out) and then sign back in saying "I believe we can resolve this by unlinking the account from the device and relinking it. This will restore any settings which may have been changed without affecting or removing your files in any way. "

So thought I'd give  it a go before doing a clean reinstall (that will be next if situation isn't resolved).  I made sure to indicate the correct path for the dropbox folder (i.e., to location of current folder so it didn't create a duplicate) and set selective sync settings.  Smart sync was left at "offline" as recommended.

There was a message saying  "smart sync has issues..." but seemed that sync was progressing although slowly.

The good news is that in spite of that message and although it took hours, appeared that all went well, sync status icons were back  on the folders & files (those that were previously offline stayed that way), and when we went to run errands there was apparently one file left syncing. 

Unfortunately that's where we still are.  Stuck syncing one file (or that's all that currently shows) and smart sync issue statement remains.  And the status icons aren't always showing as they should.  Will let it go overnight but not convinced I'll wake to good news.

Chris_J
Super User

Tara

the instructions from the Dropbox team a lot of time would work.  and while it works for most, it doesn't for all.  What works for many doesn't work for all.  That is why throughout the Forums you will find what works for some, and they said it works, it actually does, for them, but apparently doesn't work for you.  There are some minor differences that make it not work.  The instructions I left in my previous post about an Advanced reinstall would not retain your settings.  Whereas the instructions from a Dropboxer would have retained settings.  Primarily in the Advanced reinstall, it will have you delete the settings (Hidden) thus if and only if the settings are corrupt, would be deleted and you started over on a new install.  Just like starting over from scratch.

I hope it will resolve itself, but if it doesn't, might look at bad characters that are not recommended to use in filenames. reply back tomorrow on how it went. 

Tara F.4
Explorer | Level 4

Chris - Want to thank  you again for you quick responses and willingness to help me through this!  Very much appreciated!

Today's update...

sync still was stuck on one jpg and messsage "smart sync is having issues" still is displayed in expanded status menu (right click on tray icon).  deleted the stuck file from dropbox (using different PC) and sync was still stuck so looked for and deleted file from local drive.  then sync finished, and has since worked on a test file addition.  HOWEVER, still have note the smart sync has issues and in explorer right clicking a file does not give smart sync choice (local, online) - just see menu choices for view on  or open in dropbox.com.  Tried looking at folders using the app and although is sort of looks like smart sync option is there it doesn't appear to work - for example, shows a check and local but can't uncheck or set to online  only as I can on other devices.  Guess smart sync really does have an issue!

given all the tweaks and fiddles done to/with dropbox over the past month, and being concerned that perhaps there were now other issues adding to the problem, finally opted to restore C: from a recent (July) image since everything was working back then - data (including dropbox folders, pst files etc) is stored on separate hard drive so that was safe...  that seems to have resolved things.  dropbox quickly opened, synced all folders/files, smart sync is behaving, and it updated to current version.  Good example of why its good to have a "recent" image.

Thanks again for all  your help. 

Chris_J
Super User

Thanks, Tara

your reply helps a lot at least for me.  Yes, it appears Smart Sync does have issues.  For me, I don't really use smart sync, I have it all set to local.  I have been lucky to have big Hard drives so no need for me to use them.

Good luck and thanks for your patience and hope things will work good for you, Dropbox wise.

Chris

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?