cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

synced files that cannot be moved without deleting

Highlighted

synced files that cannot be moved without deleting

New member | Level 2

I use dropbox for myself, no one else shares my dropbox with me, I planned on using it to transfer photos from my phone to my mac. However I've been having issues with just one single file. It is my backup file that contains everything I had on my mac prior to dropbox installation. I do not want this file on my dropbox because it will take up all of the space, and i cannot pay for a premium dropbox. I want to get rid of this file but I can't because it is my backup synced file, so I try to desync it but upon doing that, the file is deleted. I am not able to delete it because its a sync file, and I cannot copy it or move it to my desktop because it is still synced, ergo will be deleted upon desyncing it. I have thought about deleting my dropbox account but the file will still be deleted if I deleted my account, and again I cannot desync the file. Is there any way to move this stubborn file back to my hard drive without any deletion?

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: synced files that cannot be moved without deleting

Dropboxer

Hey @ved r, thanks for posting your question on the Dropbox Community. 

It sounds like you're referring to our computer backup feature, which backs up computer folders (like Downloads, Desktop, and Documents) to your Dropbox folder. 

Once they are added to your Dropbox account, they sync to your account online and any other connected device. 

This means that deleting this folder removes it from your account as a whole. 

For this reason, you'll need to turn the feature off, as mentioned in this article, before moving the folders back to their original locations. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil, 

I have tried to stop the backup on the "My mac" file, and it was the file I was having trouble with. But it's still synced to my dropbox, and even when I had the "files on my computer" file on my mac after I turned off the backup, the "my mac" file was still synced, and so it still deletes everything, I still cannot get this file back to my hard drive without deleting it. I never wanted it deleted, I just wanted it back in my hard drive, but the sync will still delete it. And the worse part is I did desync it, and now I cannot recover the files I had on my mac. I don't see any of those files in the "deleted files" and now I can't get any of them back. And I feel like if I recovered the "my mac" file, it would still be synced, or re-sync itself, and then I cant get it out of my dropbox, and then I'd still be in that loop. These problems will most likely keep happening if I keep using dropbox but I genuinely don't see a way out of the loop hole. But if its possible to get back the "my mac" folder and stop it from syncing and stop it from being deleted again, I would really like to know if it could be resolved. Sorry for the problems again, and sorry this didn't get resolved.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @ved r!

Once you've disabled the backup, the steps mention that files will remain in the Dropbox folder but no new files will sync from your Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders.

This means that you can move the contents of the My Mac folder to another location on your computer, outside of the Dropbox folder. This would remove the files from Dropbox but keep them on your computer locally.

Just to clarify, when you mentioned that you tried to de-sync the folder, did you do this through the app's selective sync settings or my deleting it from the Dropbox folder?

I would suggest having a look in your computer's trash bin to see if the deleted files can be recovered from there, and also within the Dropbox cache folder.

If you're not sure how to locate the Dropbox cache folder, you can check out the steps here. Please only follow the steps to locate the cache folder, and not the last step outlined there to delete the contents.

I hope that helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?