Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

the desktop app is giving me a hard time on my Windows device lately. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox unusably slow for the most basic tasks since its upgrade.  When I open Dropbox, it opens ok, then when I click on little icon to open file explorer, that opens.  But then when I double-click on one of the folders, it goes off into the wheel-spinning sunset.  It might take 30 seconds for it to open that folder.  When it finally does open, even clicking on one of the files in the folder that I want to delete takes forever. Just highlighting the file name might take 30 seconds.  Then if I do a shift-click to select several files, again it takes maybe 30 seconds to finish that task.  Same with dragging the files to the trash -- what should just take an instant takes forever.

It doesn't always behave this way.  Once in a while it works normally, but usually it takes forever.

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: the desktop app is giving me a hard time on my Windows device lately. Any ideas?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @clarknk, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

As a first step, could you have a look at this article which provides a few ideas why you may be experiencing an overall slowdown and how to tackle it? 

Let me know if it helps, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: the desktop app is giving me a hard time on my Windows device lately. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

It has nothing to do with large or a large quantity of files in dropbox being updated.  Every morning up udate 2 database backup files that I keep in dropbox, adding 2 new ones and deleting 2 old ones.

This morning dropbox was indicating it is up to date.  I double-click dropbox because I want to add two files to it and delete two older files. Dropbox opens, and I click the little folder icon to "open the files in file explorer".  Off it goes into the spinning wheel of death.  I go check my email and do other stuff  until a minute or so later, it has opened file explorer.  I then double-click the folder I want to open, and off agan to the spinning wheel.  Every single step, every highlighting of a file, even dragging to the trash takes about a minute.

That was maybe an hour ago.  Now as I am writing this, I checked dropbox again, and it is acting normally now.  The problem seems totally random in occurrence.   When it happens, dropbox is virtually unusable.  While dropbox is spinning its wheel in the simple act of highlighting a file or opening a folder, I can go off and open other files, do other work on my computer.  

It cannot, it seems to me, have anything to do with some kind of slow connection  or too large or too may files.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @clarknk

I just wanted to mention that, in general, since most databases have remote access methods, we don't recommend syncing live databases with Dropbox - although you can sync saved snapshots with no issues.

Most programs create a "file lock" on any file that they are using, and this lock will prevent Dropbox from syncing the file.

In some cases you must fully quit the application before Dropbox can sync the data. You must then make sure Dropbox has finished syncing before trying to access the file from any computer.

Having said that, you can use Dropbox to share the data, but you need to take great care and understand how file syncing works.

You can try quitting the desktop app while you save changes to the database and, once you're done, close the third party app and relaunch the Dropbox desktop app. 

Let me know if the issue persists, thanks!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I'm sorry if I confused you.  I am not synching a live database.  I have exported a backup file from the database, and downloaded that backup file to my pc.  I am not connected to the database.  The files are not that large either; the largest one is only about 2.5MB 

And anyway, the problem happens before I try to update anything. Just opening dropbox and selecting a folder.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me, @clarknk

When it does happen again then, check what apps are running in the background - maybe there's a third party app that's affecting the syncing/running process of the desktop app. 

In any casee, keep me posted - cheers!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?