cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the main folder on the desktop app is no longer available

the main folder on the desktop app is no longer available

howtodragon
Explorer | Level 3

3 users are working on Dropbox in the group "Company XY" with "Folder new" (formerly it was called "Folder old"). User A has renamed all subfolders. Now users A and B have all folders duplicated - in the old and in the new naming. (We get the problem solved).

User C (iOS) now received the notification ""Folder old" is unlocked for you". However, this folder has actually been named "Folder new" for several months and he already had access to it.
User C no longer has access to the current folder structure of "Folder new" via the desktop app. His system synchronizes over several days. However, "Folder new" is available to him when he accesses it online. He has already logged out of Dropbox several times. What can we do?

Thanks a lot for your help!

7 Replies 7

Re: the main folder on the desktop app is no longer available

Lori
Dropboxer

Hi @howtodragon, thanks for posting today! 

Can I ask more, in regards to the member's C syncing status and version of the app? 

Is the folder a Team one, or a shared one? 

Also, any screenshots are more than welcome, so we can have a full visual of this. 

Keep me posted.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

howtodragon
Explorer | Level 3

Hey @Lori,

thank you very much for your feedback ! (:

User C downloaded the desktop app brand new, so it is up to date. The syncing status says that everything has been synced.

User C was first in the group. Users A and B joined later. (By the way, user B, our back-up system, has the same logins as user A, it's just another computer. So user B is negligible).

I'm attaching two screenshots of our folder structure here. The views should actually be visible to both except for one folder. 01_VP, for example, was previously called VP and was created by user A. 02_Fotopool is a new folder. This is the only one that remains the same for both.Dropbox user c.pngDropbox user A.png

Lori
Dropboxer
Thank you so much for the screenshots @howtodragon

It seems from the first screenshot that the folders are still syncing for user C in the app. 

Also, since the folders are shared, they would need to be unshared by the owner after the renaming, and then re-shared. 

Have you tried that?

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

howtodragon
Explorer | Level 3

Hey @Lori,

thank you very much for your reply (:

After I removed user C from folder "01_VP" and then added him again, he received a message that he was invited by me to folder "VP" (old naming).

We assume that the folder structure of "01_VP" and "VP" is identical, and only the renaming of the folder is not recognized by the system?

Or maybe user C has to be completely removed from our group and added again?

We are very confused because we have stored important documents for joint collaboration in the folder.

Thanks for your help!

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @howtodragon, sorry to be jumping in here.

At this point, I'd recommend re-creating the folder in question by copying or moving the files in the new folder and, then, manually add all the members you'd like to share it with anew. 

Let us know if this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

howtodragon
Explorer | Level 3

Hello @Walter,

that was a good hint, but unfortunately has also brought nothing.

We have now decided that user C works with the login data of user A for the moment, or can there be complications if we eventually work with it at the same time?

Walter
Dropboxer

This sounds rather strange @howtodragon

At this point, I'd recommend getting in touch with our support team directly for further assistance. 

They'll have the tools to assist better. 

Let me know the ticket's ID if you'd like me to look into it for you!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    howtodragon Explorer | Level 3
    Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?