cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

there is no dialog box for comment

there is no dialog box for comment

LPL
Explorer | Level 3

I need to be able to comment on specific photos that were shared with me in Dropbox.  I click on the Comments icon, but there is no dialog box to type my comment.  My daughter (in another state) has viewed the same dropbox link and she has a dialog box for comments, so the Comments feature has not been disabled.  How can I get a dialog box to appear so that I can comment on photos?

15 Replies 15

Re: there is no dialog box for comment

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @LPL, thanks for joining the Community!

Are you trying to comment on a file via the Dropbox site, mobile app or desktop app?

Are the photos shared directly to your Dropbox account, or via a shared link on the site?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LPL
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for helping me out, Jay!

I received a link via email and I click on that link which takes me to the Dropbox website (automatically opening my browser on my Macbook Air).  From that page, I can see that I am logged in to Dropbox (it shows my initials).

So I am viewing the photos via a shared link.

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the info. Could you try opening the shared link in another browser to see if you get the option to add comments?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LPL
Explorer | Level 3

First attempts were all in Safari.  So I tried in Firefox, and still no dialog box for comments.

???

Thank you for helping me.

Daphne
Dropboxer
How about if you open the link via an incognito window @LPL?

Does your daughter only have access to these files via the shared link too, or have the files been shared with her before with additional permissions?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

LPL
Explorer | Level 3

Opening the link via a private browsing window (incognito) did not help.  I still do not have a box to enter comments.  (I am attaching a picture of what my screen looks like.)  My daughter received the link when I forwarded an email to her that had the same link that I am using.  And no, she has not received the link any other way with additional permissions.  Thank you for helping me!

No dialog box for commentsNo dialog box for comments

Jay
Dropboxer
The comment box is there, you need to select the icon that looks like a square speech bubble on the right, under the circular i icon.

Could you test this to see if it works?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

LPL
Explorer | Level 3

Jay, I know that's the Comments icon, and if you zoom in on the picture, you can see that it IS selected (there's a vertical bar to the right of it), but I begin typing and nothing appears.  My daughter's screen has a dialog box that she can type comments into.  I click on the Comments icon and type but nothing appears - - I am not able to post a comment.  Can you help?

Jay
Dropboxer
Could you try hiding the bookmarks tab on the left, and adjust the size of the browser window?

Try clicking the i icon, and then the comments button again, to see if this helps.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?