cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

this folder can only be shared as a link - why?

this folder can only be shared as a link - why?

Oliver 41
Helpful | Level 5

I'm trying to share a folder when I get a "this folder can only be shared as a link" message. Why?

This has only happened in last week or so and so is it because of an update? 

For reference, i have always been able to share different folders with different parts of my group and now i can not do this. I have removed any subfolder sharing but i still cant share the folder only the link! 

Need help urgently or its back to emails for file sharing which is not good

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: this folder can only be shared as a link - why?

Oliver 41
Helpful | Level 5

Hello Walter,

I usually use file explorer for day to day file creation and managment because it works nicely (usually). However, i use the website for management tasks such as assigning people to share folders etc. The system tray does not show any app related to dropbox open as i mentioned above.

However, i followed the link you provided and eventually found the work around. i.e. re-download the dropbox app. It appears by doing this "switch off / switch on" approach it has cleared the issue with the app not loading during bootup. An additional benefit is that i can now also remove people from the shared folders (which they were unable to see) and reshare the folders so that they can now see them.

So, i don't know what the problem was / is (as it wasn't really solved as such) but by doing the standard solution to IT problems it appears to have cleared the issue.....for now at least!

thanks

oliver

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@Oliver 41 wrote:

I have removed any subfolder sharing but i still cant share the folder only the link! 

Is the folder inside another folder that's shared? If so, you can only share it with a link.

Oliver 41
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply and to answer your response,

No it is not within a shared folder. Also, i have noticed a couple of other issues in the last week too.

1. When i do delete users from shared folder, i can not re-share that folder. I also have to delete myself???

2. I have to open up dropbox on my laptop each time i start the computer. This used to be automatic and appears from me settings that this should still be automatic. If i dont notice that dropbox has not opened up then nothing is synced. ie. i dont get the green "tick" on my folders in explorer.

As i said, this has only happened in the last week or so. THerefore, has there been an update in that time that has caused these issues? Are they linked? 

thanks
Oliver

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Oliver 41; sorry to jump in here, but could you clarify if you're doing this on the website or via the desktop app on your computer?

If the latter, can you send us a screenshot of its status as shown in your menu bar/system tray?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Oliver 41
Helpful | Level 5

Hello Walter,

I usually use file explorer for day to day file creation and managment because it works nicely (usually). However, i use the website for management tasks such as assigning people to share folders etc. The system tray does not show any app related to dropbox open as i mentioned above.

However, i followed the link you provided and eventually found the work around. i.e. re-download the dropbox app. It appears by doing this "switch off / switch on" approach it has cleared the issue with the app not loading during bootup. An additional benefit is that i can now also remove people from the shared folders (which they were unable to see) and reshare the folders so that they can now see them.

So, i don't know what the problem was / is (as it wasn't really solved as such) but by doing the standard solution to IT problems it appears to have cleared the issue.....for now at least!

thanks

oliver

View solution in original post

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks  for keeping us in the loop on this one, Oliver; I'm glad to hear it's sorted now.

See you around the Community and stay safe!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?