cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tried to delete synced files for storage, deleted them from mac entirely instead

tried to delete synced files for storage, deleted them from mac entirely instead

bethmcalester
Explorer | Level 4

hi so I only got dropbox as it's a requirement to submit my portfolio for university, I have pretty much no clue as to how dropbox works so sorry if this is a really silly question with an easy answer or has already been asked.

I downloaded dropbox about 2 weeks ago and since then it had been automatically syncing all the files from my desktop, I have most of my files backed up elsewhere so I don't need Dropbox for that. it said my storage was full so I went to clear space by deleting some of these synced files. instead, all the files were removed from my desktop, finder, and downloads. Any attempt to transfer them back there has failed. I airdropped some of these files that I had saved on my phone to my mac, they showed up in finder but disappeared when I tried to place them on my desktop. all these files are for the most part still present on dropbox but they are nowhere to be seen in my finder and my desktop has been rendered an unusable wasteland.

I really don't need dropbox except for this one small task and I somehow managed to delete 90% of my coursework and break my desktop. I do not use dropbox and it's really inconvenient for my files to be saved there, especially since I can't even update any of them since the storage is full. I have them on a flash drive but again this doesn't really make for convenient access. anyone who knows how to fix this will be a godsend. again if this is a really simple issue and I'm being stupid I'm sorry but I've been trying to fix this for hours now. smart people, please help, kinda losing the will to live

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: tried to delete synced files for storage, deleted them from mac entirely instead

Elixir
Super User

Hello @bethmcalester, Sounds like you have enabled Dropbox backup feature. Before you change anything, I would recommend backing up your Dropbox folder along with Desktop, Download, Document folders. Then open the dropbox preferences (click the Dropbox icon in the menubar → Click your profile/account on top right → Select Preferences. Then go to Backup tab, and disable the feature, then it won't sync the contents of your Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders but only the contents of Dropbox folder in your Home folder. 

If you only intend to upload small number of files, you don't need to install Dropbox in your computer. You can use the Dropbox web interface https://www.dropbox.com/home and upload files via browser. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Re: tried to delete synced files for storage, deleted them from mac entirely instead

Elixir
Super User

Hello @bethmcalester, Sounds like you have enabled Dropbox backup feature. Before you change anything, I would recommend backing up your Dropbox folder along with Desktop, Download, Document folders. Then open the dropbox preferences (click the Dropbox icon in the menubar → Click your profile/account on top right → Select Preferences. Then go to Backup tab, and disable the feature, then it won't sync the contents of your Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders but only the contents of Dropbox folder in your Home folder. 

If you only intend to upload small number of files, you don't need to install Dropbox in your computer. You can use the Dropbox web interface https://www.dropbox.com/home and upload files via browser. 

View solution in original post

bethmcalester
Explorer | Level 4

Elixir you are a sexy genius. I don't really understand anything you just made me do but it worked perfectly. I am naming my firstborn child after you. 

D0
New member | Level 2

This answer did not help me. I have a similar problem, but I am still being asked for security clearance. 

How do I speak with a human being if I am not fully subscribed - Dropbox hijacked my files and is holding them, but I have not yet paid for a subscription. I don't want Dropbox. 

I want my files back. They are in an account that I have created, but can't access since I am not technically a paid account holder. 

HELP. 

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for posting @D0, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

I'd be happy to help out from here if you'd like, but you can check out your Support options depending on your account's plan from here.

Would you mind sending me a screenshot of the prompt you mentioned getting, regarding security clearance?

Please let me know exactly what step you're taking when this prompt appears too.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    D0 New member | Level 2
    bethmcalester Explorer | Level 4
    Elixir Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?