cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: turkish character problem

turkish character problem

Volkan S.
New member | Level 2

if you have some of the turkish characters (like capital i in Turkish, which is İ) in your file name, dropbox do not synchronize, I realized it but it was too late, I lost lots of things... Please solve this problem..

45 Replies 45

Christopher N.1
Dropbox Staff

Hi Volkan,

This is actually because Dropbox works in a case-insensitive nature on Windows and Mac OS X (both operating systems are case insensitive). This means that when Dropbox tries to write to the file, it uses the lowercase version of the path/file name, however with İ, there are no case-insensitive equivalents and so the files can't be synced.

We don't currently have a good solution for this, so to get your files syncing you'll need to use the lower case versions of these characters in file and path names.

Sorry about that!

Koray U.
Helpful | Level 5

This problem causes really big problem for us. Sometimes I forget and use İ on folder names but then when I discover it can not sync, ı try to delete or rename filename but somehow its reborn!!! So dropbox sync that folder but it done with problem. I can not figure out. As a professional user I really fedup about this. I think it time to say goodbye 😞

Yücel K.
New member | Level 1

Hi Demetrios,

I've also lost lots of files because of this bug. It's really really stupid of dropbox to do something like this, and please don't say there is nothing to be done in this case because as a developer, I wrote lots of programs to deal this kind of staff. I recommended dropbox to everyone I know but not anymore. I'll move my remaning files as soon as possible.

Osman K.1
New member | Level 1

I agree, this problem should be solved asap, it shouldnt be so difficult for dropbox. I think it is a shame...

Cemil A.
New member | Level 1

Using lower case versions is not an acceptable solution for this bug. How other cloud storage providers handle this situation without any problem?

Burak E.
New member | Level 2

Well, this is not acceptable. Capital "i" in Turkish (which is "İ") is a Unicode letter and iCloud supports this letter without any problem. If iCloud can, why can't Dropbox? This is an annoying bug among every Turkish user. I hope Dropbox will solve this soon.

Hakan A.1
New member | Level 1

I am really fed up with this!!! I lost many files and spend hours to change every TR character in filenames... Good bye till you solve this issue.

Kubilay K.
New member | Level 1

Hi Demetrios,

So you tell us that dropbox programmers cannot convert uppercase "İ" letter to lowercase "i" ?

And the solution is... they cannot change even a single line of the dropbox codes... so, you millions of turkish people have to change billions of folder names...

that's what we deserve ?

Yücel K.
New member | Level 1

Hi Kubilay,

Better solution, move on to OneDrive/GoogleDrive or another provider that does NOT have a STUPID problem like this even though they DO WORK in a case-insensitive nature on Windows and Mac OS X 🙂

Need more support?