cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turkish character problem

turkish character problem

Volkan S.
New member | Level 2

if you have some of the turkish characters (like capital i in Turkish, which is İ) in your file name, dropbox do not synchronize, I realized it but it was too late, I lost lots of things... Please solve this problem..

45 Replies 45

Kubilay K.
New member | Level 1

Hi Yücel,

I'm a Google Drive user for almost 8 years (since it was Google Docs)... i decided to leave drive, today 🙂

The reason is... Google Drive cannot protect my data and i lost lots of important files... and yes, this is a big problem but Google Drive can learn how to solve this.

On the other side; Dropbox thinks that converting uppercase "İ" to lowercase is a big problem...

And... my friend, the biggest problem here is this!

Yücel K.
New member | Level 1

Well said!

Omer Y.
New member | Level 2

Google Drive, OneDrive, Windows, Macintosh, Unix, Linux all the operating systems that I know of and all the sync applications out there, all of them handle Turkish characters without ANY problem. And all of them are case in-sensitive.

"...it uses the lowercase version of the..."

If dropbox didn't try to convert to lower case when writing, there would be no issue. Why convert to lower case in the first place? Just copy the file/directory as is.

Umut S.
New member | Level 1

Its a big problem that dropbox does not sync the files which starts with "İ". I have seen a reply above who says dropbox sync files with lowercase and there is no lowercase letter of "İ". Lowercase letter of "İ" is "i".

Edip O.
New member | Level 1

Thi is an unacceptable bug. better remove Turkish support from dropbox!

Bekir E.
New member | Level 1

Turkish is a widely used language in the world.  I hope one day Dropbox supports the Turkish Language.

Windows and many widely used Cloud softwares support the Turkish Characters without any issues.

Thank you

Erkan G.
Helpful | Level 6

It is very upset but this problem still alive.

We try to delete a folder since 2 years. DİSTİ named.

It keep coming back.

Omer Y.
New member | Level 2

@Erkan G. Rename the folder in the web browser to "delete". Wait for 3-5 sec. Then delete the folder in the web browser. Works for me. Folder name could be anything but i İ ı I

Ergin G.
New member | Level 2

Please fix it anymore

Erkan G.
Helpful | Level 6

@Omer , thanks your suggestion worked. Ot is funny to do many steps just to delete a folder.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Omer Y. New member | Level 2
    Burak E. New member | Level 2
    selcuk y. New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?