cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ubuntu drobox selective syn folder is invisible

ubuntu drobox selective syn folder is invisible

pmceldowney
Explorer | Level 3

I had all my Dropbox folders selected for syncing, but now i wantto remove some of them to reclaim the drive space.

I did this

1. Click Selective Sync… (Linux and Windows) or click Change settings… (Mac).
  2. A window will appear with a list of all the main folders in your Dropbox folder:
    • The folders with a check next to them are synced to your computer.
  3. Uncheck any folders that you don't need to sync to your computer's hard drive.
    • Folders you uncheck will be removed from your hard drive, but will still be available on dropbox.com and on any other computers linked to your Dropbox account

but the resulting window which pops up is totally blank

There's something there, because when i right-click on an place in the window I can get a link to the relevant folder online.

It's like 

the selective sync windo is huge spannning multiple displays

it's contents are written in invisible ink

Can someone please help? 

I really need to unsync some folders

ubuntu 16.04, MATE interface

Apparently this error occurs in other desktop environments

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: ubuntu drobox selective syn folder is invisible

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about this @pmceldowney - have you tried another browser or an incognito window?

You can also clear your browser's cache and try again (attaching the screenshot) or, if this fails again, you can also log a ticket with our team so we can have a further look into this with all of our tools available.

In the meantime, note that when content fails to display, it generally means that the connection to our server is being blocked or interrupted. Can you double check that you don't have an antivirus, a firewall or a VPN/proxy setting that could be preventing our app from connecting to the internet normally? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @pmceldowney - sorry to hear about this. I understand you need the disk space and of course Selective Sync is a great way to achieve that.

If you've ensured that your setup is meeting our requirements, try restarting your computer please. If you do and this persists, please send me a screenshot so I can have a better understanding of what could be causing this. 

Also, if you have an antivirus or firewall running could you temporarily disable them and try this anew?

Anyhow, keep me posted on your progress. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

pmceldowney
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

I did restart my computer many times butkept getting the same result - a "blank" Selective Sync folder window. Which had something in it, as I could right-click and be taken to files on dropbox.com.

I have since uninstalled dropbox on this computer, and deleted the dropbox folder.

I don't know how to progress - I have only seen one other report of this problem.

Regards

Pete

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this persists for you Pete - a screenshot would be of great help to see and tackle the issue you were having. 

If you decide to re-install and want to work on this please let me know providing a screenshot of the problem with the blank page you had when on your selective sync settings through our desktop app if you get it again upon (re) installation. 

Thanks for your cooperation so far and please let me know if there's anything else I can do from my end to help with this @pmceldowney

Walter
dropbox.com/support

pmceldowney
Explorer | Level 3

Here you go Walter - I reinstalled it

Blank Selective Sync window which spans many screenwidths ...

Pete

pmceldowney
Explorer | Level 3
can't attach file here - unexpected error!

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about this @pmceldowney - have you tried another browser or an incognito window?

You can also clear your browser's cache and try again (attaching the screenshot) or, if this fails again, you can also log a ticket with our team so we can have a further look into this with all of our tools available.

In the meantime, note that when content fails to display, it generally means that the connection to our server is being blocked or interrupted. Can you double check that you don't have an antivirus, a firewall or a VPN/proxy setting that could be preventing our app from connecting to the internet normally? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

pmceldowney
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

It isn't a browser window - it is the linux window that is blank. The contents are invisible, like it is in white ink on a white background - if i hover the mouse over, there is indication that the Dropbox links are active. 

It just is not displaying them, and the folder is soooo wide.

Regards

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this persists and thanks for your patience and cooperation so far @pmceldowney!

I have reached out via email to the address you use for your forum's profile in order to have a more in depth look into this together with all of our tools available. 

When you get the chance, please take a look at your email's inbox for my message and we'll take it from there.

Thanks in advance and happy Monday!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    pmceldowney Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?