cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ubuntu set bandwith limits

ubuntu set bandwith limits

ecasanovas
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, 

I am trying to run Dropbox on an Ubuntu remote AWS server, and it has been syncing for days. 

I have excluded some Dropbox folders with hopes of speeding up the process, but so far they still show on my computer and the syncing continues to be very slow. 

If I understand correctly, I should remove bandwidth limits, but I do not know how to use the throttle command (the last one on this list) Could you help me with the exact syntax I should use?

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

Re: ubuntu set bandwith limits

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hello @ecasanovas, thanks for posting your question here. 

Generally, using another cloud service to connect to your Dropbox account isn't recommended due to the unexpected issues that may arise. 

Just to make sure that we cover as much ground as possible, could you let me know how you've set this up?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ecasanovas
Explorer | Level 3

Hello @Lusil,

I have simply followed the online instructions for Linux, on the remote server. That is, I've run the following commands:

cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -
~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

I was re-directed to the Dropbox website to accept linking my account with the "new" (remote) computer, which I did. A Dropbox folder appeared on the remote computer, and I can see all my Dropbox folders but only a handful of files. 

I've been able to interact with Dropbox using the Nautilus package. I've excluded some folders with the hope that they won't sync (I only need to access a few files), and I can check the status of Dropbox, which appears "Syncing...". I was hoping to speed up the syncing process so that I can read the files I need from Dropbox directly on the server, and save the output of my work directly to Dropbox. That is, I want to use Dropbox to exchange files from the remote server to my local computer.

Thanks for your help.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Have you tried running the "throttle" command and setting it to unlimited

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?