cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: unable to compile tex files on dropbox

unable to compile tex files on dropbox

khawla7
Explorer | Level 3

Hey, I have a question concerning tex files on Dropbox. Just recently I started facing an issue in my dropbox tex files while compiling them, I get the error:

Could not start the command: pdflatex.exe -synctex=1 -interaction=nonstopmode "main".tex

while the same file is being normally compiled outside the dropbox. Any one has ever countered such issue  or knows the reason?   Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Celeste
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @khawla7, thanks for joining us on the Community! 

Does this error pop up with all .tex files, or specific ones?

Also, does this happen when you are editing the file, or when you try to open it?

If you could please hover over the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar and let me know the app version currently running, that would be helpful. It will look like ##.#.###. 

I look forward to your updates and we will take it from there. 

Thanks!

Celeste
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

khawla7
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

In fact, the problem is not when I open the file, the file would open normally, but upon writing in it and compiling it would give the error I mentioned in my previous message. 

This issue happened more than once (more than one tex files) before I tried asking here. However, the last tex file I tied running in dropbox last week, was compiled naturally today with no more blockage or error. My dropbox version is v90.4.307

Now it is proceeding normally upon modification, but I'm not sure that the error will not happen again. Is it clearer now the problem to you ? Thanks in advance for you cooperation

Celeste
Dropbox Staff

Hey @khawla7, thank for keeping me posted! 

I am glad to read the issue was resolved. It could mean that your Dropbox desktop app was updated, or that the error had to do with the device software and not Dropbox directly. 

If the issue comes back please do let me know, and save a screenshot of any error messages.

We will then take it from there. 

Have a great rest of your week!

Celeste
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

khawla7
Explorer | Level 3

In fact, after I sent you the previous reply, the error continued to appear for aScreenshot 2020-02-11 15.36.48.pngll tex files in my dropbox, the pdf shows but any modification in the tex file are not updated and also the message error appears again. I attached a screen shot of that

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the image, @khawla7.

As you’re compiling the tex file, which might require a bit of processing, it might be worth pausing the Dropbox desktop application to see if this allows the compilation to complete successfully.

If this doesn’t work, try quitting the Dropbox desktop application and then try compiling the file.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?