cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to control Dropbox perpetual syncing habit

unable to control Dropbox perpetual syncing habit

Bowderynman
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Lusil for your help.

Regrettably, I remain mystified: “Plan Tab”.....?
Clicking on your link took me to my dropbox where it stated - unsurprisingly - ‘your dropbox is full’. Inviting me to upgrade. No mention of the aforementioned ‘Plan Tab’. Indeed, apart from the confirmation that my dropbox is full, no other prompts were offered.

Unhappily, whilst I am not new to computer technology - I spent nearly 20 years as a CAD technician in aerospace - applications such as dropbox were not part of my routine activity. It has only since retiring 18 years ago, dropbox has peaked my interest, but only as a means of storing family photos; not my entire PC data! I have several CAD files, which I tend to keep ‘on hand’ (on my PC) using an external HDD to save backup copies. Unfortunately, a novice as far as dropbox goes, I was not aware that the “default” state for dropbox ( regrettably, inconvenient for me) was to upload everything unless told otherwise. Better, I feel, if the reverse were the case. Hence, today I can only access my files via a dropbox folder. This works, as far as it goes, but I want full control and, at present, I cannot seem to get into the settings mode of my account to rectify the syncing settings. Clearly, I am missing the “key” step to enable me to do this. Whilst many advices are out there on the forums, none of the options I am advised to “ click on” are available. Consequently I am unable to make the requisite changes to regain control: the message: “your drop box is full” is acting like a ‘drawbridge’, which at the moment is up!

2 Replies 2

Re: unable to control Dropbox perpetual syncing habit

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Bowderynman,

I have no idea what "advises" you have followed, but have you meet this one? There got discussed basic thing and some complications which are related to unintentional activation of Dropbox Backup.

Hope this helps.

Re: unable to control Dropbox perpetual syncing habit

Bowderynman
Explorer | Level 3

O.K. Have taken a neutral stance on this. In other words have managed - not without some difficulty - due in part to my PC bring, shall we say, “uncooperative”, to discover the (in my view) less than obvious option to change the sync options. I immediately selected the option to pause syncing “indefinitely”. I was extremely dismayed to see that the default was set to “automatic” or some such, meaning that as soon as I installed Dropbox it immediately without even attempting to ask if that is what I wanted. Big, big, mistake! My intention was to upload only treasured photographs; my CAD files and confidential correspondence I planned to store, indeed, do store on an external hard drive. I am gravely disappointed with the Dropbox policy to sync as a default and that is why I am now in this mess. A lot of hard work is, I suspect, ahead of me in order to rectify this unforeseen outcome......unless, that is, you know different. I am not a well man and elderly into the bargain: I could well do without the hassle.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?