cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

undoing a huge upload of documents which exceeds my storage capacity

Explorer | Level 4

I have been using the basic dropbox (free) for 3 or 4 years, primarily to back up a few small important files with personal info. A few days ago I incorectly clicked a link that indicated I wanted to use dropbox to backup documents on my computer's desktop. The next thing I learned is hundreds of files were uploaded to dropbox and I was out of storage space. I don't want to subscribe for more storage space. How do I undo the upload and return to my free basic account status?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: undoing a huge upload of documents which exceeds my storage capacity

Super User II

@embodow wrote:

How do I move my document files back to their original locations instead of deleting them?

You have the computer backup feature enabled.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Dropboxer

Hi there @embodow, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community. 

It sounds like you turned computer backup on, which added your Documents folder into your Dropbox folder. 

If you don't want to use it, you can turn the feature off by following the steps mentioned in this article

When you do that, you'll be given the option to return the files to their original locations. 

Give it a try and let me know how it goes. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the guidance. I followed you suggestions and I think I turned off the backup of my PC documents. I still see the message that I am out off space on dropbox. Can I now delete each of the files in dropbox that were previously uploaded to get back to my free space limit?

Dropboxer

I'm sorry to jump in, but did you choose to keep content in folders on your PC or leave it in Dropbox upon disabling the computer backup feature @embodow?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

chose to keep in folders on my pc

Explorer | Level 4

@Walter

I chose to keep documents in folders on my pc. Can I now safely delete the uploaded files on dropbox to free up space?

Dropboxer

I'd recommend moving them back to their original locations instead of deleting them @embodow.

Let me know how you get on!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

@Walter

How do I move my document files back to their original locations instead of deleting them? Dropbox seems to be hiding any instructions that tell me how to decrease my use of dropbox. I would gladly delete dropbox from my PC if I was certain it wouldn't delete all my documents as well!

Super User II

@embodow wrote:

How do I move my document files back to their original locations instead of deleting them?

You have the computer backup feature enabled.

View solution in original post

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?