cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unwanted files being uploaded

unwanted files being uploaded

steveonedoor
New member | Level 2

Hello, all you fine dropboxers. I have a problem. My Mac seems to  be uploading lots of files I did not authorize. And they all have generic names, like binder.autosave and recents.txt and content.rtf. I did not realize this until my free account was full and 80% of it was these strange files. I have taken steps to try to stop it, without success. I have scoured my drive and started over. I surveyed settings and flipped all the seemingly relevant switches. I deleted my dropbox app and shut down my computer, then started it again and reinstalled dropbox. No matter what I do, my account fills up quickly.

Can someone tell me what these files are and why they are being uploaded and clogging my account? How do I fix this?

Thank you in advance for your help with this.

1 Reply 1

Re: unwanted files being uploaded

Rich
Super User II

@steveonedoor wrote:

My Mac seems to  be uploading lots of files I did not authorize. And they all have generic names, like binder.autosave and recents.txt and content.rtf.

Where are these files located? Dropbox can only sync the files and folders located within your Dropbox folder, so something has likely placed those files there. If you have the computer backup feature enabled, then your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders would have been moved into your Dropbox folder so they can sync to your account as well.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?