cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

video length restriction?

video length restriction?

akleeger
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I upload a video file to my dropbox I have an issue that I do not understand.

If I download that file to another computer, I have the entire video file, but if someone else with whom I have shared the link does the download they can only play the first 60 minutes of the file. 

Are we doing something wrong? I don't understand!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

The website generates previews of files only, so, if you are sharing a link they can only see the first 15 mins for free users or 60 for paid. To view the rest they need to download it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

The website generates previews of files only, so, if you are sharing a link they can only see the first 15 mins for free users or 60 for paid. To view the rest they need to download it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

MalcDig
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have shared an hour long video with my family two see full length the other four only see first 15 minutes any suggestions please

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@MalcDig wrote:

I have shared an hour long video with my family two see full length the other four only see first 15 minutes any suggestions please

Videos previewed on the Dropbox website have a time limit based on your account level. If the owner of the file has a Basic account, the first 15 minutes of the file can be previewed. For Plus, Family and Professional accounts it's the first 60 minutes, and for Business accounts it's the first 4 hours. If a file is longer than these times, it needs to be downloaded to a device and watched locally to see it in its entirety.

Hill71
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes, I just recently found this out.  I share videos that are usually less then an hour long and have never heard any complaints.  Once  a year I video our local community variety show which are around 2 hrs in length.  This year is the first time I tried sending links instead of burning dozens of DVDs and mailing them.  That's when I was inundated with this sharing problem.  It didn't take long to figure out that you just needed to download the link . I let everyone be aware of this and it has worked out very well.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hill71 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    MalcDig New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?