cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.vpsh malware on dropbox

Highlighted

.vpsh malware on dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

Hi. I have a PC at home and I tried to install a software on it but it got a virus that encrypted all of my files and added .vpsh after all of it. It says I should pay them with bitcoin to give me the software that decrypts my files. But I didn't have anything important on that PC so I changed its windows and deleted all of my files.

But I had my dropbox synced on that PC that I use for my work and I mostly use it on my MacBook. But the virus has encrypted all of my dropbox files on my Home PC and uploaded it again. Now I cant open any of my files on any other computer because they are encrypted and uploaded on dropbox.

I tried restoring them from the older versions but when I restore it, it has the .vpsh extension on it again. I really need my stuff they are very important for my work. I would really appreciate if someone could help.

Here's my email if anyone wanted to contact me: [Removed as per Community Guidelines]

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: .vpsh malware on dropbox

Dropboxer

Hi @lleilazeinali, thanks for messaging the Community!

I understand your concern regarding your files being affected by ransomware.

I'd recommend following the steps in this article to first prevent the computer and account from being reinfected, and then trying to recover the version history of the files.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: .vpsh malware on dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

Hi!

Thank you for the time you took to write. I tried to recover them from the version history, but they came back with that .vpsh extension. I sent a direct message to Dropbox Support on Twitter and they were so great and fast with the support.

They asked the exact time that the first encrypted file was uploaded to Dropbox and restored my account to that time. I'm suggesting if anyone ever had this problem, first unlink the device and then contact Dropbox Support on Twitter. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?