cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where are the local files on my android tablet now???

where are the local files on my android tablet now???

Martin B.37
Explorer | Level 3

after latest update of the dropbox app on my tablet the foxit-pdf app doesn´t find anymore the PDF-files of dropbox which are marked as locally available

background information:
I´m a non-professional musician and I store new songs as PDF-Files an my computer. These PDFs I transfer via dropbox to my tablet. On the tablet I declare every single PDF as "lokal verfügbar", that means locally stored on the tablet. Then for handling reasons I use Foxit PDF viewer when I play music at friends where I have not Internet or WLAN connection. With Foxit you can scroll by wiping to the right. Other PDF viewer scroll by wiping upwards, which doesn´t work as well while playing guitar.

another solution would be that I can configure dropbox on my tablet in a way that all PDFs are automatically opened with Foxit viewer. But that doesn´t work either

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: where are the local files on my android tablet now???

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Martin B.37 wrote:

after latest update of the dropbox app on my tablet the foxit-pdf app doesn´t find anymore the PDF-files of dropbox which are marked as locally available
another solution would be that I can configure dropbox on my tablet in a way that all PDFs are automatically opened with Foxit viewer. But that doesn´t work either

Hi @Martin B.37,

Unfortunately, Dropbox seems is going to drop support for local direct access of files (actually done already). 🤷 In latest versions "new features" are mostly restrictions! The files are still local (when set to accessible offline), but in the application private space and not directly accessible outside Dropbox application (something very often inconvenient - like in your case). The latest known Dropbox for Android version working with accessible offline files is 202.2.2. Once configuration already set, seems remains unchanged when update up to 214.2.6, but UPDATE, not reinstall. Bad news is when update to 218.2.2, everything forcibly gets reset and offline files get move to private space (can this be a new feature or bug fix 🤔, I don't think so, just opposite). As a workaround, you can unlink and uninstall currently installed application version and install older one (follow the link before). That's it.

The issues related to intent directions from Dropbox application start at... day zero. 🤷 I don't believe this will be fixed ever.

Hope this gives some idea.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Здравко

@Martin B.37 wrote:

Hi @Martin B.37,

Unfortunately, Dropbox seems is going to drop support for local direct access of files (actually done already). 🤷 In latest versions "new features" are mostly restrictions! The files are still local (when set to accessible offline), but in the application private space and not directly accessible outside Dropbox application (something very often inconvenient - like in your case). The latest known Dropbox for Android version working with accessible offline files is 202.2.2. Once configuration already set, seems remains unchanged when update up to 214.2.6, but UPDATE, not reinstall. Bad news is when update to 218.2.2, everything forcibly gets reset and offline files get move to private space (can this be a new feature or bug fix 🤔, I don't think so, just opposite). As a workaround, you can unlink and uninstall currently installed application version and install older one (follow the link before). That's it.

The issues related to intent directions from Dropbox application start at... day zero. 🤷 I don't believe this will be fixed ever.

Hope this gives some idea.

View solution in original post

Martin B.37
Explorer | Level 3

thank you very much. I installed the old version you gave me the link to and now itworks again the way I was used to !!!!!!

I really don´t like the methods Microsoft uses to keep you inside their world.

Здравко

@Martin B.37 wrote:

I really don´t like the methods Microsoft uses to keep you inside their world.

😮😯 By the way, I don't like Microsoft methods too, but why are you putting this company here? 🤔 Application maintener is Dropbox Inc., not Microsoft. 🤷 Similar are the things with Android. It's a Linux fork (with proprietary GUI and workspace Java API extension/restrictions - Java similar actually) gets maintenied by Google. 😉 Guilty for the discussed changes (bugs) is Dropbox.

Just for clarity.

Martin B.37
Explorer | Level 3

sorry I meant dropbox.    Microsoft is Gdrive, but Gdrive has even less possibilities and comfort. I tried it today as a workaround.

Meanwhile I marked again all my PDF files as "offline" so I have them all via Foxit again 

Здравко

😆😃 One more wrong try. 🙂 Google Drive (GDrive) is maintained by Google LLC. 😉

Be more careful!

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    Martin B.37 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?