cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why can't dropbox show long file names?

why can't dropbox show long file names?

Mark D.29
Helpful | Level 5

Why can't Dropbox just show me long file names (or folder names) on multiple lines? Is this an invention they haven't heard of, continuation of text on mutiple lines? Remember carriage return, line feed? So simple! Are Dropbox's programmers simply unable to program something so simple as wrapping a text entry in a vertically scrolling display? The entire customer base has to stare at huge directories full of file names arbitrarily shortened to fit the window width. This is from a company paid to help us deal with files? They have literally one job: help us deal with files. WTF?

By the way, why is this issue marked as solved

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Ipad-and-Iphone-viewing-of-long-file-n...

It's not solved, it's still just limiting file names to a single line. The only thing that was a "solution" was using available screen width on a larger tablet style screen, which is just not completely screwing up. They still can't seem to deal with longer file names than fit in available width.

CRLF, try it?

4 Replies 4

Re: why can't dropbox show long file names?

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @Mark D.29; thanks for posting on our Community and sharing your thoughts on this. 

I just wanted to note that your query seems to echo this idea; could you take a look and let me know if that's the case?

If not, please elaborate on the issue you're facing with some additional information so we can assist further. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mark D.29
Helpful | Level 5

The pointed issue is poorly cast. First, it complains only about the iPad, whereas my complaint is about all platforms: web app, iOS (not just iPad, also iPhone), and Android.  Secondly, it only complains about folder names. My complaint is about both folder and file names. (Note that I have just edited the post to include folder names, which I had intended and thought obvious, but I don't want to leave it to chance.)  It also says that it's "understandable" that the file name has to be truncated. I strongly disagree with that. Perhaps because it is so oddly written and so weak, it has virtually no votes. No, I will not accept that as a solution.

Walter
Dropboxer
I see; thanks for the additional feedback on this, Mark.

In that case, I'd recommend posting your own idea in the relevant section of the Community so that other users can jump-in and share their own thoughts and/or up-vote it to show their interest as well. 

Let me know if you have anything else to add!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mark D.29
Helpful | Level 5

OK, now I have adapted this post into an idea, and it's here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Why-can-t-dropbox-show-long-file-names/idi-p/506570

Thanks for the tip.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?