cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.xlsx file corrupted after saving on Android

.xlsx file corrupted after saving on Android

ThinkMore
Explorer | Level 3

Good afternoon,

There is an excel file in my computer synced with dropbox, which is also sometimes edited from an android phone. And when it is changed it got corrupted and unopenable. 

Anyone knows what could be the problem?

I never had this problem before with Dropbox.

I update monthly this file and when I discovered it was damaged (trying to open it, now it says "file damaged or not supported") unfortunately I could not get anymore the older version due to more than 1 month passed in conjunction with Basic plan.

Is there any other solution? Any tips to recover this important data?

Thanks for reading

Ferdinand

10 Replies 10

Re: .xlsx file corrupted after saving on Android

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @ThinkMore, let's see what we can do here. 

Were you editing the file through the mobile app or directly using Microsoft Excel on your Android device?

Are you able to open the file through any device by any chance?

If you could send me a screenshot of the error message, that would be super helpful. 

Give me a shout whenever you have a moment to check this out, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ThinkMore
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Lusil,

I opened and saved the file with MS Excel and WPS office on Android, I don't remember which.

When trying to reopen I tried with both of these programs and with Excel on Windows and Excel Web and with the preview Feature of Dropbox and neither of them worked.

I do not see how to attach a screenshot here, do you mean by uploading them on dropbox and linking? It says "the file cannot be opened die to unknown reasons".

Lusil
Dropboxer
If you could send me a screenshot of it as a shared link, that would be super helpful. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ThinkMore
Explorer | Level 3

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshots @ThinkMore.

Just to confirm with you, are you still able to open the file from the app on your mobile device, where you last edited it from?

If you open the Excel or WPS office directly, you may be able to open the last version of the file from there, instead of trying to open the corrupted file from Dropbox.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

ThinkMore
Explorer | Level 3
I tried to open it both on Mobile and on Laptop, but I don't have it locally (outside of dropbox) on either device.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Could you stop the desktop app from running, to then see if the file opens normally?

You can do that by clicking on the Dropbox icon (next to your computer's clock, selecting the avatar icon on the top right, and choosing Quit/Exit.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

ThinkMore
Explorer | Level 3

Also tried that now, does not solve the problem, file is still corrupt...

Daphne
Dropboxer
Since the previous version is outside of the 30 day version history kept by Dropbox, perhaps you can try restoring a previous version through the Excel app. The steps are outlined here.

Otherwise, you might be able to repair the file through Excel with these steps.

Other than that, I'm afraid there isn't much more I could suggest here, since the file appears to be corrupted from the last update and we can't restore it through Dropbox.

Sorry that we can't be of much more help with this, but please do let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?