cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 0.0 kb/sec -- even when network monitor shows 13mb/sec

0.0 kb/sec -- even when network monitor shows 13mb/sec

stephendidit
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Since yesterday anything I try to upload/download Dropbox says will take 2+ days. Granted, it's taking a REALLY long time on everything, but while claims it's moving files at 0.0 kl/sec, according to my network monitor I'm seeing fluctuating rates as high as 13mb/sec. What gives?

20 Replies 20

corylulu
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
It took me a few tries and some tweaking of files and attempts of using the Sync now function, but it eventually synced

GeckoKid
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

update: I've tried the link Kofi suggested and followed step 7 and 8, and restarted dropbox, it actually worked! 😮 Thanks!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, thanks for all your updates here!

I'm glad to hear that @corylulu and @GeckoKid managed to resolve the issue, thanks for letting us know here what worked for you.

Also @kofil, are you still having this issue? If so, can you try the steps outlined here to see if that does the trick?

Let me know!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

John D.35
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Daphne - 

Finally got around to trying the "Fix Hardlinks" suggestion on my main Dropbox folder (as a workaround I've been working off of a 'selective sync' on a different user account on the same computer, shared with my main user account).

Initially after I 'fixed hardlinks', I had approximately the same number of files left to sync (60,150 - I assume the additional are those files I've created/modified since last week) but instead of "2+ days" it said "1 sec.". It stayed that way for about 20 mins., then it went back to "2+ days", with 60,150 files remaining. Then back to "1 sec.", then "2+ days" again, etc., etc., etc.

I did notice now that I have 2 folders in my top level directory with teh blue syncing icon. In one, all of it's nested folders also have the blue syncing icon. In another, drilling down, I found a folder with a red x. The folders insode of teh folder with teh red x all have blue syncing icons. Is there something I can/should do to fix this? I looked at the problems that a red x can represent, and:

• Invalid filenames (files can’t sync if their names have certain characters or symbols)
    • The folder with teh red x has only alpha letters in the filename.
  • Permissions errors (meaning you don’t have access to shared content, or a computer system permission)
    • The folder with the red x has the same permissions as the folders above it, and others that are syncing.
  • File changing very rapidly (meaning multiple edits in quick succession)
    • This folder is part of a Seagate Dashboard Backup, which only runs at startup, so it's not changing rapidly.
  • Your Dropbox account is out of storage space (which means you can't upload to it)
    • I have used only a little more than 25% of my 3.1 TB

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for all the detail there @John D.35!

If you're seeing a red x icon next to these folders, if you click the Dropbox icon to see the sync status do you see any error messages at all?

If not, if you haven't already can you try rebooting your computer to see if that helps.

Other than that, another issue that there could be with the folder name is if there are any trailing characters at the end, such as a space or a period (.). Removing these should allow the folders to sync if they contain them.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kofil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Daphne, 

Unfortunately, I still have that issue. I cannot execute the steps you suggest since, when I go the account tab, there is no "Fix Hardlinks" option. I tried clicking with mouse buttons and space bar etc. but it did change anything. So I cannot even test that fix. Any advice will be very welcome. 

Thanks 

kofil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

PS: I have noticed that my dropbox synces donwloads (the files changed from other computers are updated). What is not working is upload syncing. Thanks. 

kofil
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

PPS: The problem seems to be solved now (after more than 2 weeks) simply as a result of a windows update I have just executed. I hope it is gone for good. 

John D.35
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Daphne wrote:

Thanks for all the detail there @John D.35!

If you're seeing a red x icon next to these folders, if you click the Dropbox icon to see the sync status do you see any error messages at all?

If not, if you haven't already can you try rebooting your computer to see if that helps.

Other than that, another issue that there could be with the folder name is if there are any trailing characters at the end, such as a space or a period (.). Removing these should allow the folders to sync if they contain them.

Keep me posted!

I replied to this message, even checked back to see if there was a response to my reply, and now my reply has been deleted. I'll post my ansers again:

• No error messages, exceot a bunch of .DS_Store 'bad filename' messages for teh hundreds of invisible mac directory service files in every folder, which disappear eventually, as always.

• Rebooted literally dozens of times.

• The folder with the red X is a backup of a mac user folder, it has only alpha charachers, "firstnamelastname" (without quotes).

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey again @kofil, I'm glad to hear that the Windows update seems to have done the trick!

If you do notice the issue creep up again, please don't hesitate to get back to me here. I'd be happy to look further into this with you.

Have a great day!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?