cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 computer counts as 2 connected?

1 computer counts as 2 connected?

HappyAnimal
Explorer | Level 4

Hi 🙂

I am trying to add a new computer to my dropbox free account. Settings said that I already had 3 computers connected. But 2 of them are the same computer. One is called: My Mac. The other is called: My-Mac.local. 

The "local one" is synced all the time. The other one was synced 11 months ago. 

What is the issue here?

Thank you very much. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: 1 computer counts as 2 connected?

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @HappyAnimal,

Do you perhaps have a different user profile on your device than before? Usually when the device name is the same, you may see a duplicate one appear being appended with .local. 

In this case you can go ahead with removing the device named “My Mac” that hasn’t pinged for a long time if this is the only user profile on your device that you use Dropbox on.

Hope this helps to clarify the matter, let me know if you have any other questions - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @HappyAnimal,

Do you perhaps have a different user profile on your device than before? Usually when the device name is the same, you may see a duplicate one appear being appended with .local. 

In this case you can go ahead with removing the device named “My Mac” that hasn’t pinged for a long time if this is the only user profile on your device that you use Dropbox on.

Hope this helps to clarify the matter, let me know if you have any other questions - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

HappyAnimal
Explorer | Level 4

Do you perhaps have a different user profile on your device than before? Usually when the device name is the same, you may see a duplicate one appear being appended with .local. I don't think I have changed the user profile ever. I will try to delete the MyMac profile, and see what happens with the syncing. 

Thanks! @Daphne

Daphne
Dropboxer

Let me know how it goes when you remove that “MyMac” device linked to your account.

Have a great day - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

HappyAnimal
Explorer | Level 4

Daphne! I just did it, and it worked. 

Thanks a lot for the help 🙂

Have a nice day. :beers:

Daphne
Dropboxer
I’m glad I could help @HappyAnimal

If you ever need anything else you know where to find us. :smile_cat:

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?