cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 different windows accounts on the same Pc: How to delete Dropbox folder only from 1 of them?

2 different windows accounts on the same Pc: How to delete Dropbox folder only from 1 of them?

MollieSpinto
New member | Level 2

Hello, 

I'm using the same pc (windows 10) with two different accounts: 1 local and 1 connected.  

I use, besides, another different pc and an android smartphone.

So, I'm using 3 devices: this is supported by my basic (free) dropbox plan (in terms of devices).

But I'm using one account too many, and this is my question:

I want to delete my dropbox but only from only one (my local account) of the two windows accounts in my pc.

I have my dropbox folder already working  on my windows connected account, but the dropbox folder is still on my local account (and I can still see my files, though they can't be modified)<-- this is the dropbox folder I want to delete (the one on my local windows account) without deleting it from my windows connected account.

How can I do it?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Re: 2 different windows accounts on the same Pc: How to delete Dropbox folder only from 1 of them?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @MollieSpinto, I hope you're having a good day so far!

If you'd like to delete the Dropbox folder without it affecting the other connected apps, you can unlink the Dropbox account from the desktop app for that account and then you can safely remove the Dropbox folder.

To unlink your account from that installation, you can check out the steps outlined here.

Let me now if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: 2 different windows accounts on the same Pc: How to delete Dropbox folder only from 1 of them?

MollieSpinto
New member | Level 2

Hi, @Daphne 

I appreciate your help, but the link is: 

How do I unlink a device from my Dropbox account?

so, I think if I unlink the device, I'll be unlinking both accounts, not only 1 (since both windows accounts are in the same device).

I guess I can always unlink my device and then link it again with only 1 account, but I'd like to find a more direct way to unlink only 1 account from my device, instead of having to unlink both (by unlinking the device) and then linking 1 account again.

thanks.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @MollieSpinto!

They should show up as separate entries within your connected devices, however we can try another method to make sure you unlink the correct one.

When signed into the computer profile you'd like to remove the Dropbox app from, please follow these steps:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. From the "Account" tab, choose the unlink option.

This will only unlink this installation of the desktop app and not affect the app on the other user profile of your computer.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?