cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2FA + Yubikey 4 login speed

2FA + Yubikey 4 login speed

richard_ersted
Collaborator | Level 8

Summary: in past month or so, there's a noticeable longer delay, when logging in to my Dropbox account using 2FA, between the time at which I enter my user name & password entry and the appearance of the pop-up window asking me to use my authentication device.

_____

Background: I'm using Yubikey 4 as the hardware authentication device, I have a Dropbox Pro account, and I'm using Dropbox on a Mac Pro (Late 2013) running OS X 10.14.3.  In the past, prior to the noticeable, new delay, Dropbox returned a small pop-up window near the top of the desktop screen asking me to tap the gold disk on my Yubikey 4.  Now, when I log in to Dropbox on the desktop, enter my user name and password, there's a noticeable delay.

To me, it seems the Dropbox server is now calling out to a third-party site, awaiting a reply, prior to authorizing the pop-up at screen-top.  Unfortunately, the third-party site seems quite slow, perhaps burdened with older hardware or software.

I respectfully suggest Dropbox investigate this new delay, requiring the third-party site to promptly remedy the source(s) of the issue.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: 2FA + Yubikey 4 login speed

richard_ersted
Collaborator | Level 8

Update: during 2FA hardware-based authentication, Dropbox now calls out to this third-party site:

https://www.arkoselabs.com/ 

This particular call-out introduces significant delay and 'hang time'.  Respectfully request Dropbox amend its 2FA hardware-based authentication process to reduce or eliminate such delay.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey Richard, thanks for flagging this!

Out of curiosity, have you tried clearing your browser's cache or another browser (or even an incognito window without any extensions or plugins running for that matter) to see how it behaves? 

To be honest, I'm also using a Yubikey 4 and haven't noticed the same delay. 

In any case, please let me know the results and we'll take it from there.  

Thanks for your patience and cooperation testing this out for me. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

richard_ersted
Collaborator | Level 8

Unfortunately, using Chrome 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) beta (64-bit), clearing the cache and all cookies, and switching to Icognito mode with no plug-ins or extensions, there's no change.  Once I enter the user name and password, there's a noticeable 'hang', not previously present at Dropbox.  In the lower-left of the browser window, a tab briefly 'pops up', confirming a call-out to a third-party site.  In any event, it's noticeably slower than before to get the top-drop Yubikey window to appear at Dropbox; and, perhaps of note, it's noticeably slower than implementations at other sites where I use the Yubikey 4.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info Richarf - much appreciated. 

I know it may sound far fetched but I think this issue might be caused by your browser as you're using a beta version of Chrome (as mentioned, I'm not able to repro on my Chrome's stable build, specifically version 72.0.3626.122 (Official Build) (64-bit). 

While we do support a variety of browsers and operating systems, we are unable to support these versions (beta builds) until they are officially classified as stable.

Can you try this out on a stable version of Chrome or another browser whatsoever and let me know your findings?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

richard_ersted
Collaborator | Level 8

Using the latest & greatest version of Firefox [ v66.0 (64-bit) ], the delay is unfortunately still present.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the speedy response and efforts so far Richard - I'm truly obliged.

Would it be OK if I reached out via email to have a further look into this and maybe escalate it to an expert for further review? 

In the meantime - note that is is not a normal troubleshooting step - just thinking out of the box (as you know, it helps sometimes) could you maybe try disabling 2FA and re-enabling it?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

richard_ersted
Collaborator | Level 8

Disabled 2FA.  Without re-enabling it, tried to log-in, both with Firefox [see above] and Chrome, each as noted above.  Unfortunately, the lag -- from entering user name and password to access to all Dropbox files -- is still present.  Of course, the 2FA hardware authentication step is no longer in the loop.  But, the lag is still present.

Re-enabled 2FA, using the same Yubikey 4.  Logged-on, again both with Firefox and Chrome.  Unfortunately, the lag is still present.

richard_ersted
Collaborator | Level 8

Addendum: reach-out via email is fine w me

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that Richard.

I guess the last thing to check here would be if the problem lies within the specific Ubikey you're currently using. 

If you don't mind me asking, do you happen to use this Yubikey for other sites/services as well? Have you by any chance tried this on another network or another device? 

In the meantime, I'm sending you an email to your Dropbox associated address so we can work on this together. Keep an eye out for my message and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

richard_ersted
Collaborator | Level 8

I'm using the Yubikey 4 at Vanguard and Google Drive, with no, similar, new lag between entry of user name and password and appearance of the 2FA hardware authentication window (Vanguard's implementation is not quite the same as Dropbox's; but, it's the same 2FA process)(Google Drive's 2FA hardware log-in -- using the same Yubikey 4 -- is very speedy).

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

richard_ersted Collaborator | Level 8
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?