cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3.0.3 memory leak on Linux

Re: 3.0.3 memory leak on Linux

James J.1
New member | Level 1

Joe E, it did resolve the issue to my satisfaction. Try it. Settings aren't that big a deal. 😉

I just wanted to make the distinction between wearing my user hat: "works well enough for me" and wearing my tester hat: "I'm pretty sure the underlying bug is fixed". The former is definitely true, the latter, maybe.

Cristian A.
New member | Level 1

James, I tried your solution, but I have a problem. After deleting the settings folder and restarting Dropbox, the program starts the setup procedure again; but when it asks for the location of the Dropbox folder, if I point it to the correct location, it says that there's already a Dropbox folder there (of course) and doesn't let me continue. It wants to be pointed to a new folder. But I don't want to have to re-download 400GB of data! For now I simply restored a backup of the settings folder. Is there another way to make it use an existing Dropbox folder?

James J.1
New member | Level 1

Cristian, I'd forgotten about that. There is a .dropbox and a .dropbox.cache/ in your Dropbox folder that lets the software know that it's associated with a previous Dropbox installation. Delete both of those and you should be all set.

Joe E.
New member | Level 1

I did this and it did help, although it does still seem to creep up in memory usage, just more slowly. It should keep it manageable though.

Here's what I did using Dropbox 3.0.5:

1. Stop the dropbox daemon and wait for it to clean up and stop running.
  2. Delete the ~/.dropbox directory.
  3. Start the dropbox daemon.

It'll then asked me to login and set up which folders should be synced. I reset everything up and it went through and checked all my files again. That ends up being a rather long process, but it didn't transfer too much mainly because nothing had really changed.

Like I said, I don't think this has fixed it, but it isn't using as much RAM as quickly as it was before I did this.

Tim S.9
New member | Level 1

Experienced same bug using Dropbox 3.0.3.

I reinstalled Dropbox, both removing my storage directory aswell as $HOME/.dropbox and $HOME/.dropbox-dist. Installed 3.0.5 and seems that the problem is now fixed. Whether this is because of the new version or fresh install I can not say

Dropbox is again hovering at ~100 MB ram usage for 68,000 files at the total of 16.6 GB. Not too bad.

Cristian A.
New member | Level 1

James, I tried your suggestion (deleting both folders) and it did work. It downloaded the 3.0.5 version and re-indexed all the files, and is still uploading a few of them right now.
But this did not solve the memory leak problem. Even now, after about 24 hours running, the memory usage goes over 3 GB forcing me to stop and restart dropbox.

I'm also having another problem that might be related or not: I have a very large file in my folder (VERY large, around 50GB) and its indexing takes forever. It takes so long, actually, that it can't be done before I have to restart dropbox. Basically this means I'm unable to upload it. Any suggestions?

Tim S.9
New member | Level 1

Cristian, are you sure you deleted -all- of the dropbox folders in your home directory? I've been running Dropbox for 12 hours without restart now with the aforementioned setup/files/size, and it is currently at 150 MB ram usage. It has gone up a bit, but it's still nowhere close to the leaks I was seeing before so it seems so far that it is fixed in my case.

It should be mentioned that I downloaded all my dropbox files without copying anything from disk, so I have a fresh "sync". Not sure if it matters.

Cristian A.
New member | Level 1

Tim, I deleted the .dropbox and .dropbox-dist folders in /home, and .dropbox.cache in the dropbox folder. So yes, I think that's all I could delete.
I was unable to simply re-download the data as you did, since I hadn't even finished uploading it in the first place (it's a lot of data and with this memory leak I can't keep it on 24/7). So I had to delete the folders and update the software and then keep uploading my files.
It might be that the leak only occurs while actually uploading files...

Tim S.9
New member | Level 1

Cristian, sounds like you did it correctly then. I've uploaded a few files since reinstalling it, but nothing big yet. Even so, I was seeing up to 9GB of ram usage from Dropbox even when idle.

Honestly I'm not sure what is triggering it, so I'm not sure if I can consider my own installment "fixed" or not yet. Good luck solving your issue though!

Would be nice if more people could report back their results from reinstalling, and if 3.0.5 works well.

Joe E.
New member | Level 1

So I haven't had to restart Dropbox since reinstalling it as described above. I was starting to get worried since it was slowly creeping up in memory usage, but it got to about 700MB and the dropped back down to 500MB. It does seem that clearing out the old .dropbox files does work.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

joes Explorer | Level 3
    Cyber M. New member | Level 2
    Dimitris G. New member | Level 1
    Jeroen N. New member | Level 1
    Zsolt Peter B. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?