cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3.0.3 memory leak on Linux

Re: 3.0.3 memory leak on Linux

Todor T.
New member | Level 1

I am also experiencing the same problem. I don't have many files in my Dropbox and memory usage goes up to "only" 400MB. The previous version never used more than 60MB. Dropbox 3.0.3 starts at 60MB and then memory usage continuously grows without ever going down. It does look like a pretty serious memory leak and as other users said, makes it impossible to use the program for an extended period of time without restarting.

Scott K.9
New member | Level 2

Same problem for me. Kubuntu 14.10 with 16GB of RAM. Right now Dropbox is chewing up 4.5GB of RAM, with no activity. For some reason I'm only on version 3.0.3

Cristian A.
New member | Level 1

I was hoping that the memory usage was due to the indexing, but it's not. Indexing has completed, right now I'm in the upload phase (25000 files still to go) and the memory leak is there. It takes about 12 hours before all the RAM is filled and I have to stop and restart Dropbox.

Jonas J.1
New member | Level 1

At least the fixed some of the UI issues but this is still a problem with dropbox 3.2.6...

It uses more memory than I have data stored on dropbox. Currently up to 1GB, but I assume it going to keep rising as it used to...

I guess it'll soon be time to migrate off dropbox... maybe there is a competitor that actually work..

Patrick O.10
New member | Level 1

I had the same issue (up to 4Go used) while I was using Gnome-Shell.
These last 3 days I used Unity and the memory used is never more than 90Mo.
So far, I'm not sure if it's really linked with the desktop.

Scott K.9
New member | Level 2

I've switched to OpenSUSE 13.2 (KDE), and with dropbox version 3,4,3 the memory leak is GONE. My computer hasn't been rebooted in over a week and Dropbox is only using 272K of RAM. A whole lot better than the 4.5 GB it was chewing up under Kubuntu.

Dimitris G.
New member | Level 1

I gave up after trying it both on kde and xfce (3-4GB of RAM usage in less than 24 hours). The headless version is working great btw (~100mb of RAM).

Jos J.
New member | Level 1

Same issue here running Dropbox v3.4.6 on Linux Mint 17.1 64-bit. My Dropbox contains ~200 thousand files, 125 GB in total. After starting Dropbox, memory usage is just over 100MB. This grows to 1.5GB in a couple of days. At some point Dropbox just crashes, I guess it runs out of memory.

AllGamer A.
New member | Level 1

Same problem here

Dropbox version 3.10.7 in Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS

if I don't stop the Dropbox after a couple of days it will eat up all my RAM and continue onto the SWAP space, which makes the server super laggy and slow.

my Workaround until there is a permanent fix, was to scheduled a script to kill all drop box, then start drop box every 24 hr.

Evan S.3
New member | Level 1

I'm using version 3.8.5 on Arch Linux and there's definitely a significant memory leak. I have less than 1.5 GB in my Dropbox folder and Dropbox is using over 3 GB RAM after running for a few days. Can we get some feedback from a Dropbox employee? It seems like this has been an ongoing issue applicable to many client versions.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

joes Explorer | Level 3
    Cyber M. New member | Level 2
    Dimitris G. New member | Level 1
    Jeroen N. New member | Level 1
    Zsolt Peter B. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?