cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3.0.3 memory leak on Linux

Re: 3.0.3 memory leak on Linux

Sean B.26
New member | Level 2

I too am having problems with drobox overcoming resources, specifically memory.

I have two (aging) Ubuntu 10.04 boxes that sync several hundred MB via dropbox and recently its just hogs the system and the kernel even kills process now and again "Out of memory: kill process", Dropbox seems to be the culprit.

The version is dropbox-lnx.x86-3.10.8 and there does not seem to be a way to limit memory used by a user/process on Ubuntu 10.04.

CPU usage can be reduced by setting a nice level of 19 and/or " cpulimit -p=$dbpid -l $CPULIMIT "

It would be great if a dropbox employee replied to this recurring issue :-)Could dropbox be extended have a way of limiting the process/memory etc. ?

Adam P.
New member | Level 1

Same problem.  Ubuntu 14.04.  Dropbox 3.10.8.  A few minutes ago I noticed Dropbox thrashing the hard disk, and it's Resident Set Size was constantly increasing.  Finally the disk thrashing stopped, but the RSS remains at 1.3 GB.

I've been using Dropbox for years.  Never had this issue with any 2.x versions.

I use Dropbox on several systems.  Not all of them have 8 GB of memory.  On one system, that would be over 50% of memory.  On another system, that would be over 100% of memory!

This is unacceptable.  If this isn't fixed soon, I'm going to have to start moving away from Dropbox to other solutions.

Sean B.26
New member | Level 2

v3.10.8 has been running on two Ubuntu 10.04 servers since January (and a previous version for years before that), and for over a week now dropbox crashes several times per day, killed by the kernel (memory usage).

I downloaded and installed the latest version, but that too is v3.10.8. The kernel has also started killing other processes too. If dropbox is stopped, the kernel is happy.

I have nice'd dropbox and used 'cpulimit' to reduce cpu usage, but have not found a way to limit memory. Its the first time dropbox has become so unstable for me.

htop shows me several dropbox processes each with an RSS of 280MB, sometimes there are many many of these processes.

There is a directory with logs, .dropbox/logs/1 but they are in  binary format - is there anyway of viewing them? Or getting any info from dropbox on what it is doing apart from the status command?

paul m.66
New member | Level 1

I have this issue too. Linux Mint 17. I don't even have a huge amount of files, 2k about 1GB.

Since Dropbox don't seem to be interested in fixing this does anyone have an alternative product I can use on Unix?

John W.144
New member | Level 1

@paul_m.:  Have you looked at owncloud?  You can either host your own server that acts as your own personal "dropbox", or maybe run a virtual server in the cloud (digitalocean?).  If you're a Linux person, either of those options are probably a lot less scary than for a Windows person.  I am migrating all my stuff away from dropbox and to my own server (under my control) running owncloud.  The dropbox privacy issues and the memory/performance issues are pushing me away.  The two are obviously not identical, but the similarities drastically outweigh the differences. 

KY L.
New member | Level 2

I did have this issue and left a comment back in January.

In recent months my Dropbox behaves well and consumes ~500MB of RAM on my system.

I still leave my machine on for prolonged periods and have tons of files in it.

I'm on Arch Linux LTS kernel and keeps my system updated. Not sure if it's the OS or Dropbox client have a fix on my system.

Sean B.26
New member | Level 2

I upgraded to a newer version again about 3 week ago and the problem went away, dropbox has not once crashed due to memory.

UPDATE 2016-01-21: two dropboxes on 12.04 have started crashing on me again every few days..

@john_w: Owncloud is very interesting and as you say its Opensource. Have you tried owncloud with large datasets, e.g. 50GB? I was unable to get it to fully sync and it was slower again than Dropbox. That was a year or so ago though.

Scott M.74
New member | Level 2

Experiencing this same problem, I found this thread in what seems to be a hopeless search for an answer. I pay for and use dropbox on a few systems. I set up a brand new system, new install of Kubuntu 14.04 the other day. The next day, this machine is freezing up with the kernel reporting out of memory errors. This machine has 4 GB of RAM, I think that would be plenty for dropbox. But no, looking at top, dropbox is hogging 2.993 GB of RAM. That's insane. No single application should ever be using that much ram.

Glenn S.8
New member | Level 2

I am also seeing this problem on Mint Mate 17.  I agree with previous posters.  This problem has gone on for over two years.  I know that memory leaks are non-trivial to fix, but it would be nice to know someone is at least working on it.

Gregor P.
New member | Level 1

I'm currently on version 3.14.7 and if I leave Dropbox on during the night I have to kill it the next morning because the system starts to swap like crazy. And this is on a machine with 16GB of RAM.. My distro is openSUSE.

It's been going on for a while now, too..

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

joes Explorer | Level 3
    Cyber M. New member | Level 2
    Dimitris G. New member | Level 1
    Jeroen N. New member | Level 1
    Zsolt Peter B. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?