cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We are doing a little maintenance on the Dropbox Community at the moment, so please bear with us. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 device limit

3 device limit

RobJVM
New member | Level 2

I'm sure this has been rehashed over and over but this is a screw job. I just replaced my hard drive. I DID NOT reinstall DropBox, I simply cloned one drive to another drive. Now I'm limited to 3 devices?!?!

I've used Dropbox since the very beginning and got a half dozen others to use the service. I'm going to look LONG AND HARD at all the other options out there before I pony up $120/yr to have the functionality I had 1 hour ago.

As they say, "All good things…"

2 Replies 2

Re: 3 device limit

Rich
Super User II

@RobJVM wrote:

I'm sure this has been rehashed over and over but this is a screw job. I just replaced my hard drive. I DID NOT reinstall DropBox, I simply cloned one drive to another drive. Now I'm limited to 3 devices?!?!

Like any other application that identifies hardware by generating a hardware ID, changing part of that hardware can result in it being recognized as a different device. That's likely what happened here, either by replacing the hard drive that was cloned, or by putting the clone into a different computer.

... before I pony up $120/yr to have the functionality I had 1 hour ago.

Upgrade for a month, add your devices, cancel; $9.99.

Re: 3 device limit

RobJVM
New member | Level 2

Semantics. I've been in IT for 30 years. I know EXACTLY what this is.

But thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

RobJVM New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?