cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Absolutely HATE the new Dropbox update

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The new Dropbox is hot garbage. The entire appeal of Dropbox has always been that it's a regular folder that auto syncs.  The update makes everything take more clicks and steps.  Dropbox holds no advantage over any competitor now and is actively more annoying to use.

I got here via searching "the new dropbox sucks".  Nicely done, Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

OMG I HATE the new dropbox too! And it used to be my favorite app!

It sucks all the battery from my macbook, is constantly syncing files, and when they are uploaded to the cloud, you can't even see them in the dropbox folder on the desktop. WTF. Plus, selective sync is a crapshoot. You think it's selectively syncing, but it's really taking all the space on you drive...

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I cant find any of my files and dropbox gmail made me add a new account and now I have nothing and there is no way to get throgh dropbox support. They suck!!!!!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey everyone, thanks for nudging us on this thread.

I understand that you might want to change back to using your File Explorer or Finder to navigate through your Dropbox folder. If so, you can follow these steps.

Also, @TSK, by using selective sync, you’re able to remove whole folders from your Dropbox folder but continue to keep them in your Dropbox account. That way, you save space on your hard drive, but you’re also able to sync them back at any point in time.

For this reason, could you please clarify if you’re having trouble selectively syncing content? Are you getting any errors?

You also mention that when you add files to your desktop app, you can’t see them on the website. To make sure I understand what’s happening a bit better, could you hover over your Dropbox icon that should be next to your computer’s clock and let me know what it reads?

Finally, @jimers, since each Dropbox account is associated with one email address, could it be that you signed in to a new Dropbox account?

Could you also have a look at your events page and see if there is any relevant info for any recent activity to content in your account?

Let me know what you find and I’ll make sure to get back to each of you as soon as possible. Thanks, everyone!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I just cancelled my paid subscription and moved to iCloud Drive.  The 'new' Dropbox app is a total dumpster fire.  Bloated, slow, confusing, and unecessary.  OSs already have great file managers, Dropbox solved a problem NOBODY had by introducing its own via crap-ware update.

Do I trust iCloud Drive or OneDrive more than Dropbox?  Nope.  Will I use them anyway?  Yep. 

Dropbox, you turned a service I raved about for years and convinced dozens of others to adopt into a bloated abomination that I finally have to exorcise from my devices.  Nice work. I guess you don't need my ~$150/year. 

Highlighted

The new dropbox client you released? It sucks.

Explorer | Level 4

I've been using Dropbox for over a decade...you know back when google drive sync took a bit to catch up but dropbox was killing it?  Yeah..well..the new client you released?  it sucks.  Looks like it's time to move everything to google drive.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Lusil,

I appreciate your response, but I think you and dropbox just don't *get it.*. You had a product that worked well, and seamlessly. I used to tell all my friends they should use it. Now, I am wondering if I should even bother. Price went up, performance went down. Honestly, I am actively searching for a replacement.

Some issues:

1. Frankly, it is hard to even tell WHAT is going on with the new dropbox that is causing all these issues! All I know is that it that I have a brand new Macbook Pro, and it sucks the life out of it. Constantly trying to sync thousands of files, even though I have not changed anything.

2. When I use selective sync it does not even show all the files I have on my desktop folder. It may be on the dropbox website, but when I am doing a search on my computer, NOTHING comes up that is selectively synced on the dropbox account -- not even the name of the file. 

3. When I traveled, I had set my files to selectively sync. Fine, but when I was away with terrible internet, it turned out that the files WERE NOT selectively synced. They were on my computer LOCALLY and in the cloud. There is a whole other setting deep in the menu that has to be changed IN ADDITION. Who knew??

4. I have turned off using the app on my computer. BUT MY FILES WILL NOT SYNC with each other UNLESS THE APP IS OPENED. So, I saved files to dropbox on my desktop. Went to open them on my laptop for a presentation, and the files were NOT there. 

5. The list goes on. And, in fact, I have had mutliple online conversations trying to fix these issues. (Of course, there is no phone number to have a human conversation -- even though I am paying more than $100 annually for the dropbox. )

6. I know you want to make more money -- but why RUIN a perfectlly good program?

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

And I forgot to add that when I go on your app -- there is no way to filter my files by DATE or any other way I would on my macbook. So I can't even see if my most recent files have synced!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I have already responded in one of these threads. But I also wanted to say EXACTLY what is so frustrating about the app so I wrote a blog post about it.

HOPE someone can fix this disaster before the company really tanks (I guess stocks are going down already, but that may have nothing to do with the new app -- yet.)

My 2 cents:

https://tira-khan-yp7m.squarespace.com/https/wwwtirakhancom/sugarhouse-media-blog/dropbox

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your descriptive posts, @TSK!

At first, I wanted to mention that, for content to sync, the desktop app needs to be running, which you can ensure by locating the Dropbox icon that should be next to your computer’s clock on the system tray or menu bar.

Also, when you selectively sync folders, they’re removed from your hard drive but kept in your Dropbox account. This means that you won't be able to find content that you've selectively synced if you look for it on your computer. You can choose to sync them again though at any point in time from your desktop app’s settings.

As for your third point on your first post, from what I understand, you’re referring to the Smart Sync feature, where you have the option to make a file local or online-only.

In general, if a folder contains some files that are local and other that are online-only, the folder will show a mixed stated icon (white icon with a green tick). If you don’t want some paths to be completely local, you can right-click on them and select the online-only option from the Smart Sync settings.

Additionally, phone support is currently only available to Dropbox Business admins. However, you can find your support options by logging in to your account and going to dropbox.com/support.

I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on filtering files according to their modified date via the desktop app!

Last but not least, if you’re experiencing high CPU/RAM usage on your computer, have a look at this article which suggests some ways to tackle this.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the desktop app and if you experience any other issues or you’re still having trouble with high CPU/RAM usage, just give me a shout. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?