cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidental file deletions & missing data.

Accidental file deletions & missing data.

Keiley H.
New member | Level 1

I logged in this morning to find 95% of my data missing.  I still had most of my folders however they were empty.  I received email from dropbox saying 19500 of my files were deleted last night.  I am restoring them now via the link embedded in the email.  note that the restore function in dropbox only had 12 or so files available to restore.  restoring all my files will take hours.   It coincided with the annual payment for $129 for dropbox pro.  They payment went thru.   Does anyone know why this happened?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unauthorised file deletions

Alexis G.1
Super User

I paid the extra $49 so that I can retrieve my data for 12 months, however, those files are missing so it was a complete waste of money.

Extended Recovery only works if the service is activated before the files has been lost. For example, if you delete 10 files 60 days ago and today you pay for Extended Recovery, you will be unable to recover your files. If you pay for Extended Recovery 11 months ago and you want to restore files deleted 10 months ago, then you can restore.

Analogy: When you activate Extended Restore you add a "virtual recycle bin" to your Dropbox cloud Storage. 

I'm not sure how many files were restored, however I certainly was not all of them.

This can be related with the explanation above. The files was deleted prior to 30 days.

I suspect it is something to do with the annual payment.

I don't think so.

I would like to hear from dropbox management on the issue.

This is a public forum. If you want official support you must open a ticket.

Open your ticket in this link: https://www.dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket in this link: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users). Business users have priority and phone support available.

Seriously, why would I delete 19122 of my own files from random folders - the act alone would have taken hours and hours.

Dropbox don't delete files itself. Only replicate actions to the cloud.

This is a good reminder about how important are backup this days. In today Internet connected world, we have lot of important data everywhere. I encourage everyone to backup important data on regular basis, including Dropbox data.

Data is at risk due to user error, software problems, hardware damage like HDD malfunction, file corruption, virus and malware encryption like the Locky Virus. Backup is today more important than ever.

Backups can be done to external HDD, CD, DVD or Bluray disks, Tape, NAS or Cloud Backup applications. A good practice is to follow the 3,2,1 rule. 3 copies of the data, 2 mediums, 1 backup offsite.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Alexis G.1
Super User

Check the events related with your account.

www.dropbox.com/events

Keiley H.
New member | Level 1

Yes, I can see the event, it says "you deleted 19122 files".  However i didn't delete any files. it would have taken me hours and hours to perform that task...My folder structure was still intact, however, files inside the folder were deleted.

I have now lost confidence in dropbox and have bought an external file called 'mycloud'.

Deb K.1
New member | Level 1

I feel like this similar action happened to me. The events show I deleted over 2k files, I don't see how this would have happened. My files were all in organized albums. The events clearly states they were deleted, but how? I need these files back and I requested a restore...but this is concerning. 

Keiley H.
New member | Level 1

Very annoying.  I am still finding files missing in project folders, not everything restored.  I've lost hours of time.  I paid the extra $49 so that I can retrieve my data for 12 months, however, those files are missing so it was a complete waste of money.  I'm not sure how many files were restored, however I certainly was not all of them.  I suspect it is something to do with the annual payment.  Even though my payment went through - perhaps there was a break in the code - between my payment anniversary and my payment being credited to my account.  (see images below - the dates coincide)   I would like to hear from dropbox management on the issue. Seriously, why would I delete 19122 of my own files from random folders - the act alone would have taken hours and hours.

Alexis G.1
Super User

Deb K. I feel like this similar action happened to me. The events show I deleted over 2k files, I don't see how this would have happened.

Normally this happens due to user error or someone with access to your account who deleted the files. Or perhaps a third party application or virus. Dropbox don't delete any files by his own. Dropbox only sync with the cloud the actions in your devices.

The events clearly states they were deleted, but how? I need these files back and I requested a restore...but this is concerning.

You can request an event rollback if the files were deleted prior to 30 days.

Alexis G.1
Super User

I paid the extra $49 so that I can retrieve my data for 12 months, however, those files are missing so it was a complete waste of money.

Extended Recovery only works if the service is activated before the files has been lost. For example, if you delete 10 files 60 days ago and today you pay for Extended Recovery, you will be unable to recover your files. If you pay for Extended Recovery 11 months ago and you want to restore files deleted 10 months ago, then you can restore.

Analogy: When you activate Extended Restore you add a "virtual recycle bin" to your Dropbox cloud Storage. 

I'm not sure how many files were restored, however I certainly was not all of them.

This can be related with the explanation above. The files was deleted prior to 30 days.

I suspect it is something to do with the annual payment.

I don't think so.

I would like to hear from dropbox management on the issue.

This is a public forum. If you want official support you must open a ticket.

Open your ticket in this link: https://www.dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket in this link: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users). Business users have priority and phone support available.

Seriously, why would I delete 19122 of my own files from random folders - the act alone would have taken hours and hours.

Dropbox don't delete files itself. Only replicate actions to the cloud.

This is a good reminder about how important are backup this days. In today Internet connected world, we have lot of important data everywhere. I encourage everyone to backup important data on regular basis, including Dropbox data.

Data is at risk due to user error, software problems, hardware damage like HDD malfunction, file corruption, virus and malware encryption like the Locky Virus. Backup is today more important than ever.

Backups can be done to external HDD, CD, DVD or Bluray disks, Tape, NAS or Cloud Backup applications. A good practice is to follow the 3,2,1 rule. 3 copies of the data, 2 mediums, 1 backup offsite.

e Frances W.
New member | Level 1

An unknown number of documents have disappeared from my account; my files still exist but they are empty.  I found several deletion events for about 5,000 or more documents most on June 22, 2016.  I have tried all the suggestions for recovery.  None has worked.  Some of my most important files are backed up on my desktop computer; but others are not.  How could so many files be deleted without my knowledge?

Ray D.6
New member | Level 1

Same thing has happened to me, a years work deleted by someone else that I have not shared the file with. Luckily I think I have restored them all now but I do not trust Dropbox anymore and will find another way to keep it.

Carl M.
Helpful | Level 5

Happened to me this morning and a colleague a few weeks ago.  Shared folders are randomly unshared and wiped out.  Restoration in my case will take hours and cost me thousands of dollars in downtime.  I love the "blame it on the customer" answer by Alex G..  If the incidence itself didn't lead me looking into something like Box or OneDrive that post right there would.  I Feel like a sucker paying $250 a year to have something like this happen.  Thanks to all the posters on this forum for your posts that helped me figure out the issue and not have to wait "24-48" hours for tech support.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    Habib2 New member | Level 2
    Elixir Super User
    alfina New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?