cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add option to disable icon overlays in Windows Explorer

Add option to disable icon overlays in Windows Explorer

StopMessingWithOverlayIcons
Helpful | Level 7

Please add an option to disable Dropbox icon overlays. It is so frustrating to remove Dropbox Shell Icon identifiers from the top of ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers list after each update! 

It is disrespectful to users to decide for them which overlays they need. 

I'm using TortoiseGit and I really need its overlays, they are useful and important for my work. Every time Dropbox updates I can no longer see status icons and have to go to Registry editor and remove newly added and USELESS Dropbox overlays.

I've seen dozens of feature requests from Dropbox users for many years but Dropbox pretends everything is fine!

UPD: 

I had patience to open a thread and communicate with Dropbox team on this issue. After almost 2 years, more than 100 upvotes they have just thrown my idea away suggesting me to edit Windows registry. I've heared your answer, that's how you treat your loyal users.

So long Dropbox!

80 Replies 80

ptsdon
Helpful | Level 6

Dear Dropbox Development Team,

How many times do paying customers need to hit you over the head with the problem about messing with user selected Windows folder icons? How many?  Apparently whatever WE do as a community has no effect on motivating you to get this problem fixed. I have been a Dropbox customer for about five years! Yep, five years. During that time you still DO NOTHING.

ONE SIMPLE REQUEST. Wake up!! As a community we should all post a request (thousands per day), and just inundate you with the same request, until you fix the problem. How about it community! I depend on tools like this to di my job everyday. I don't need any dead weight to make my job any harder than it is!!! Get cracking!!

stdedos
Helpful | Level 5

I will just delete my account and stop supporting them, and migrate to my cloud.

I refuse to let anyone tell me "what is best for me", with their petty ignorance.

Helpful | Level 7

@stdedos several annoyed people mean nothing to Dropbox. But dozens of their shouts in this thread can do a job.
Thank you for your attention. Please consider voting up and sharing this idea.

stdedos
Helpful | Level 5

I think it's more powerful if dozens cancel their accounts to shouting.

But I guess that's just me.

Helpful | Level 7

@stdedos you're not the only person in this thread who thinks cancelling account is the only option. 
I thought like you too but now I want to try different approach. 
Please vote this idea up and share link to it wherever you find it appropriate 

stdedos
Helpful | Level 5

Bullies respond only to strength

nofish2
Helpful | Level 5

@Walter 
This idea now apperas in the 'Top voted ideas from the Community' section.

Is this enough to forward it to the dev team, if not, how many votes does it need?

5zxBQX0

johne53
Helpful | Level 6

It'd be nice to find out what the criteria are...  A quick look through the Ideas section reveals that some suggestions get implemented after only 3 or 4 votes whereas others can have scores of votes but still show up as Needs more votes

Does the voting system even count for anything..?

pepehands
Helpful | Level 5

+1(billion)

Another concerned group of users would benefit from the ability to disable overlays - it also renders windows explorer file management nearly unusable for many of us:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/all-FILE-EXPLORER-FILE-icons-flashing-...

ytd
Explorer | Level 4

While Dropbox fixes this problem for years, you can use my script...

You can delete some or all popular invaders with comma separated list.

For all

set SIOIFolders=%SIOIDropBox%,%SIOIAcronis%,%SIOIOneDrive%,%SIOINextCloud%,%SIOIGDrive%

For dropbox only

set SIOIFolders=%SIOIDropBox%

Run with Administrative privileges

ShellIconOverlayIdentifiersCleaner.cmd

@echo off
cls
SetLocal EnableDelayedExpansion

rem ------------------------------------
echo ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers cleaner
echo.

set SIOIRoot=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers
set SIOIDropBox=DropboxExt01,DropboxExt02,DropboxExt03,DropboxExt04,DropboxExt05,DropboxExt06,DropboxExt07,DropboxExt08,DropboxExt09,DropboxExt10
set SIOIOneDrive=OneDrive1,OneDrive2,OneDrive3,OneDrive4,OneDrive5,OneDrive6,OneDrive7,SkyDrivePro1,SkyDrivePro2
set SIOINextCloud=OCError,OCOK,OCOKShared,OCSync,OCWarning
set SIOIGDrive=GoogleDriveBlacklisted,GoogleDriveSynced,GoogleDriveSyncing
set SIOIAcronis=AcronisSyncError,AcronisSyncInProgress,AcronisyncOk

set SIOIFolders=%SIOIDropBox%,%SIOIAcronis%
for %%i in (%SIOIFolders%) DO call :fnDeleteKey "%%i"

echo.
echo Restarting Explorer...
taskkill /im explorer.exe /f >nul 2>&1
explorer.exe

goto Quit

:fnDeleteKey