cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add option to disable icon overlays in Windows Explorer

Add option to disable icon overlays in Windows Explorer

StopMessingWithOverlayIcons
Helpful | Level 7

Please add an option to disable Dropbox icon overlays. It is so frustrating to remove Dropbox Shell Icon identifiers from the top of ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers list after each update! 

It is disrespectful to users to decide for them which overlays they need. 

I'm using TortoiseGit and I really need its overlays, they are useful and important for my work. Every time Dropbox updates I can no longer see status icons and have to go to Registry editor and remove newly added and USELESS Dropbox overlays.

I've seen dozens of feature requests from Dropbox users for many years but Dropbox pretends everything is fine!

UPD: 

I had patience to open a thread and communicate with Dropbox team on this issue. After almost 2 years, more than 100 upvotes they have just thrown my idea away suggesting me to edit Windows registry. I've heared your answer, that's how you treat your loyal users.

So long Dropbox!

80 Replies 80

johne53
Helpful | Level 6

Added by johne53:

" Does the voting system even count for anything..? "

I guess the answer to that is:- "No !"

StopMessingWithOverlayIcons
Helpful | Level 7

@Emma   how many votes are needed for implementing this feature?

Roberto_Blatt
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the post. Time for Dropbox to wake up

wlear
Explorer | Level 4

This is an extremely important bug fix, NOT a feature. Dropbox repeatedly restores its icon overlays as the the top of the list, even after I manually deleted from the registry.

Other programs provide an option to disable icon overlays - this option should  mandatory for Dropbox.  It is fine for the option to default to enabled on install, but I must be able to change it.

Explorer | Level 4

@StopMessingWithOverlayIcons wrote:

Please add an option to disable Dropbox icon overlays. It is so frustrating to remove Dropbox Shell Icon identifiers from the top of ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers list after each update! 

It is disrespectful to users to decide for them which overlays they need. 

I'm using TortoiseGit and I really need its overlays, they are useful and important for my work. Every time Dropbox updates I can no longer see status icons and have to go to Registry editor and remove newly added and USELESS Dropbox overlays.

I've seen dozens of feature requests from Dropbox users for many years but Dropbox pretends everything is fine!

Roberto_Blatt
Helpful | Level 5

@wlear  is right - This is a needed bug fix, not a feature

seeigecannon
New member | Level 2

I completley agree with the people above. People have been complaining about this for years. I suspect this is more of a managment problem than a software dev problem. Dropbox keeps taking 10 out of the 11 slots, I suspect to disable the overlays of competetion, but as a side effect screws up Tortise which is FAR more important to anybody who uses things like Git and SVN.

Also, 10 icons? WTF! Everything that is important could be done with 3. Up to date, updating, error.

If I had a dollar for every time I screwed up with TortiseGit because of you guys stealing the shell overlays I could buy a nice lunch at McDonalds.

Pistolprinsen
New member | Level 2

How to remove the Dropbox overlay icons?!?

johne53
Helpful | Level 6
This has been ongoing for years so you might have a very long wait... the lords at Dropbox are 100% convinced that their software is more important than everyone else's and therefore they have some god given right to hog your computer's resources. It makes no difference at all how often we users complain. They seem determined to show us who's boss by utterly refusing to fix the problem !!!

Stargx
Helpful | Level 5

Oh for the love of god, please fix this. It's driving me insane.
I've also noticed that drop box sneakily added spaces at the start of the reg entry so they appear at the top and override others.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

johne53 Helpful | Level 6
    Stargx Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    digisolve Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?