cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a previously disabled security key is not working

Adding a previously disabled security key is not working

roadtrip72
Explorer | Level 3

I tried logging into my Dropbox account web interface.  When I was prompted to authenticate with my security key, I used my registered Yubico 2 security key.  But then I was prompted for a PIN.  My notes in my password manager indicated I had not ever registered a PIN for this key although I had used this key a while back.  The only PIN I had was for the Android app.  After a few unsuccessful attempts, my key was disabled.   I then authenticated with my authenticator app and got in.  Trying to fix my security key, I tried removing its listing with the three I have listed.  Instead of removing, it said it was something like disabled as opposed to removed.  I added it back in (registered it) successfully.  However it still doesn't work to get in.  Dropbox looks at it and won't acknowledge its presence.  It wants another security key.

Is there a timeout period after which my re-registered key will work?  Or will this take an admin action?

5 Replies 5

Re: Adding a previously disabled security key is not working

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @roadtrip72; welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this; could you try disabling and re-enabling the two step authentication, clear your browser's cache and try again? 

If you're still getting the same results, I'd appreciate a screenshot so I can have a better look into this. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

roadtrip72
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the suggestion.  BTW, I'm using Windows 7 and was authenticating with the Edge and Chrome browsers.  

Here's what I did.

1.  I went to the Dropbox settings web interface and turned off 2FA.

2.  I cleared cookies and temporary Internet files for all time, then restarted my Edge browser.

3.  I logged back into Dropbox with only username/password.

4.  I turned 2FA back on and registered my Authenticator app.

5.  I then registered my YubiKey 2 key that had previously be de-registered.  I registered it successfully.

6.  I logged out, then logged back in.

7.  When Dropbox asked for my security key (I think I had to give Edge permission to read the key), I plugged it back in and the light on the key was blinking.  This was promising.

8.  When I pressed the blinking button on the Yubikey 2, Dropbox responded with a 'Key not found.'  Please see the screenshots below.  All subsequent attempts to use the key again bypass the blinking button and immediately go straight to the 'Key not found.'  

9.  I've previously tested this security key yesterday at the Yubico website.  It passed the Validation.  I've also used it to successfully authenticate at another website where it is registered.  I'm confident it is completely functional.  

10.  I've also tried authenticating at Dropbox using the Chrome browser and this Yubikey 2.  It gives the same behavior.  

So I'm not locked out which is the good news.  However, I still can't get Dropbox to like my YubiKey 2 again.  I appreciate any suggestions you may have. 

-roadtrip72-

Dropbox-1.PNGDropbox-2.PNG

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the details @roadtrip72!

Just to clarify, are you getting the same behaviour in both the Edge and Chrome browsers? If so, are both currently up to date?

Can you let me know if using an incognito window shows any difference in the behaviour?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

roadtrip72
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

That's a fair question.  Here's what I'm running:

Google Chrome
Google Chrome is up to date
Version 85.0.4183.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)
You've gone incognito -- it displayed the same "Key not found." 
~~~~~
Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge is up to date.
Version 85.0.564.51 (Official build) (64-bit)
InPrivate Browsing -- it displayed the same "Key not found." 

In each case, after insertion the security key didn't blink for me to press it, and the display went straight to 'Key not found.'  I hope this helps.  Thanks!

-roadtrip72-

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that @roadtrip72!

I'd like to have a better look into this with you through our Support channel, so I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here.

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my message and we can go from there.

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    roadtrip72 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?