I tried logging into my Dropbox account web interface. When I was prompted to authenticate with my security key, I used my registered Yubico 2 security key. But then I was prompted for a PIN. My notes in my password manager indicated I had not ever registered a PIN for this key although I had used this key a while back. The only PIN I had was for the Android app. After a few unsuccessful attempts, my key was disabled. I then authenticated with my authenticator app and got in. Trying to fix my security key, I tried removing its listing with the three I have listed. Instead of removing, it said it was something like disabled as opposed to removed. I added it back in (registered it) successfully. However it still doesn't work to get in. Dropbox looks at it and won't acknowledge its presence. It wants another security key.
Is there a timeout period after which my re-registered key will work? Or will this take an admin action?
Thanks for the suggestion. BTW, I'm using Windows 7 and was authenticating with the Edge and Chrome browsers.
Here's what I did.
1. I went to the Dropbox settings web interface and turned off 2FA.
2. I cleared cookies and temporary Internet files for all time, then restarted my Edge browser.
3. I logged back into Dropbox with only username/password.
4. I turned 2FA back on and registered my Authenticator app.
5. I then registered my YubiKey 2 key that had previously be de-registered. I registered it successfully.
6. I logged out, then logged back in.
7. When Dropbox asked for my security key (I think I had to give Edge permission to read the key), I plugged it back in and the light on the key was blinking. This was promising.
8. When I pressed the blinking button on the Yubikey 2, Dropbox responded with a 'Key not found.' Please see the screenshots below. All subsequent attempts to use the key again bypass the blinking button and immediately go straight to the 'Key not found.'
9. I've previously tested this security key yesterday at the Yubico website. It passed the Validation. I've also used it to successfully authenticate at another website where it is registered. I'm confident it is completely functional.
10. I've also tried authenticating at Dropbox using the Chrome browser and this Yubikey 2. It gives the same behavior.
So I'm not locked out which is the good news. However, I still can't get Dropbox to like my YubiKey 2 again. I appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Re: Adding a previously disabled security key is not working