cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding local storage - considering a NAS

Adding local storage - considering a NAS

HawleyLaura
Explorer | Level 3

I am using dropbox for business and need to add additional local storage to continue to maintain one local copy of all files in dropbox.  My current system only has 1TB of storage and is running out due to a large number of photos in our business. 

I am considering adding a NAS to one computer to keep all files local.  Users on other computers/devises will typically keep most files online and some local.

What NAS or other storage solutions to keep all files local on one machine do you suggest?

1 Reply 1

Re: Adding local storage - considering a NAS

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @HawleyLaura - happy Monday!

If your computer's hard drive's space is not enough to fit your Dropbox folder, I'd first consider using selective sync to unsync some un-used folders as this would help free up space on your hard drive by completely removing some folders from your computer (you'll still be able to access those from our website).

If you really need to have all of your files available locally, I'd recommend using an external drive (with a supported file system) to move your Dropbox folder there so it can accommodate your files. 

Keep in mind that NAS (or other network storage devices) are not recommended since they do not send messages when files change. When Dropbox first starts it will do a deep file scan and will detect changes and sync them. However, during normal operation, Dropbox waits for "file update events" and only physically connected drives send these events.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress Laura! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?