cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After installing Dropbox on a new device the files are not showing in the folder, any ideas?

After installing Dropbox on a new device the files are not showing in the folder, any ideas?

CityandMoon
New member | Level 2

Apologies if this has already been answered but I've been trawling the forum and Google and can't find a solution. 

Up until yesterday I ran Dropbox on my iMac, Macbook and iPad, everything was in sync fine, no issues. For a few reasons we decided to start running our business on PCs, notably the Surface Pro 6. We use Dropbox to file away copies of monthly invoices etc. 

Downloaded Dropbox to the Surface, logged in etc as directed and all our main files are in place but almost all sub files are either completely empty or only have one or two folders. I've been through Smart Sync options and nothing works. I can't work this out and it's getting frustrating as Dropbox sync was never a problem before. 

I also downloaded the dropbox "app" which showed all the files as usual but for some reason the app doesn't seem to appear as a save destination? 

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. 

3 Replies 3

Re: Missing files new install

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @CityandMoon, it sounds like you may have some files that contain incompatible characters - could you check this by running a bad files check?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

CityandMoon
New member | Level 2

Thank you for the quick reply. 

I got a list of hundreds of files classed as bad file names. How am I supposed to resolve this? Hopefuly it doesn't mean renaming everything? Because the file names were fine on every other login / computer. 

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for the swift reply, @CityandMoon

In general, files with a bad filename can sync to the website, but might not work properly on incompatible operating systems - which would explain why you see them on your Mac but not on your Windows. 

The easiest solution to this is to rename the original file without the characters mentioned in this article and, to prevent sync problems in the future, you can check out this list of characters incompatible with the Windows file system.

I hope this helped to some extent, but do let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?