cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After installing Dropbox on my iMac, it starts and then immediately closes. Any ideas?

After installing Dropbox on my iMac, it starts and then immediately closes. Any ideas?

Alessandro Lippis
Helpful | Level 6

Goodmorning everyone,

I just installed DropBox on my new iMac with OS Catalina. The problem is, once I install dropbox it opens for 2 seconds and then closes immediately. I can't understand why. I open the application and after 1/2 seconds it closes for no reason.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Problems with Catalina

Alessandro Lippis
Helpful | Level 6

Ok, I finally found the problem. I am a person with physical problems. For this reason I have activated the on-screen keyboard. That was the problem: in fact, the on-screen keyboard conflicts with the Dropbox desktop app. If you close the onscreen keyboard, Dropbox won't quit and can complete setup and sync. Once all the steps are done, the onscreen keyboard can be re-enabled and Dropbox will continue to run in the background.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Sharingsus
Explorer | Level 4

Since I updated my macbook to catalina I have the same problem. Maybe it's because of the new update. I hope it will get fixed soon. 

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello there peeps, thanks for posting!

Could you both check for me if you have the "Early release" option toggled on at the bottom of your account settings here?

This will let me know if you would be running a beta version of the app or not.

Also, if you haven't already can you try restarting your device to see if that helps at all?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Alessandro Lippis
Helpful | Level 6

Good morning,

The version of Dropbox installed on iMac with OS Catalina is the latest and is an official version (it is not a beta version). My computer has been restarted many times but the problem continues to exist.

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Alessandro Lippis, If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Alessandro Lippis
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Jay , 

I have a Dropbox with basic plan. 

How can i get Dropbox to work? It never managed to start and it didn't even have time to create the "Dropbox folder" on my Mac because it never got to start and doesn't even give me time to log in.

Jay
Dropboxer

In that case, it shouldn't have linked to your account, try the advanced reinstall steps to see if they help.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Alessandro Lippis
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Jay 

I followed the steps for the advanced reinstall. Unfortunately the bug remains. You can find here the screenshot of the terminal when the execution of Dropbox stops.

Dropbox.jpg

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there, Alessandro; I'm sorry to jump in.

I'm not really familiar with this error; could you send us the full error from the message you get from our desktop app instead? 

You can obtain the full text of the error by clicking on the blue link within the error message pop-up. This will open a file with the full text of the error. Please copy and paste the text in your next response here so we can advise further. 

Also, since you mentioned that you're on the Basic plan, could you check if there are any devices linked to your account that might be putting you over your device limit? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Alessandro Lippis
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Walter ,

The problem is that I can't interact with the desktop app at all because as soon as I start the application, it closes in less than a second. This is the problem and I don't understand why.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Alessandro Lippis Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?