cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After syncing my Dropbox account again, I have 12 GB less space on my machine

After syncing my Dropbox account again, I have 12 GB less space on my machine

Krabut
Helpful | Level 5

yesterday morning my computer had restarted, and there was a dropbox installer on my screen. As If beginning from scratch.

I followed the guidelines, which resulted in the installer deleting the content of my two dropboxes (9,4GB from 1 and apporx 2 from the other).

I then watched as it synced from the cloud (I sincerely hope all db-links are the same!! but it seems to take up the same amount of space.) Thank god I wasn't hotspotting on my phone's data!

What is weird is that my Mac now has approx. 12GB less space - exactly the content of the two folders. As if the installer never deleted but instead moved the content of the two db folders to a different location. But where to?

(The install proces was kinda embarrasing to me. No information in the installer about consequences of install, no taking its own existance into account: WHY was there a dropbox installer open on my screen? Which remained on top, and made it hard to access anything else - eg. find a code to log in with. I just trusted it, I am ashamed to say. I wont in the future. What if I'd had 1TB data locally?)

thank you for reading.

5 Replies 5

Re: After syncing my Dropbox account again, I have 12 GB less space on my machine

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Krabut; welcome to our Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this and I'd really like to help look into it.

To do so, can you please get me the app's exact status as shown within your computer's system tray/menu bar at the moment? Is it 'Up to date' now or still syncing?

If it's up to date, which mean's you're fully synced, can you forward me a screenshot of where exactly you're spotting the discrepancy you described so I can advise further?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: After syncing my Dropbox account again, I have 12 GB less space on my machine

Krabut
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for replying so fast,

menu icon says "up to date"

I do not have old screenshots of my harddrive capacity to prove that my available space fell approx. 12 gigabytes following the "update".

Opening a Finder window allows me to constantly monitor the available space. And since Apple advices 10% available space for proper system function, I stay around 50GB on this SSD - the last I saw before going to bed was 52. After the morning's "update" of DB, which deleted the content of both folders, to then re-download content*, there was around 40 GB available.

* and HOW does DB know that people are working ONLINE, thus syncing their DB-content, before closing their computer? I don't always, and I save a lot in my DB-folders. So, all content that I saved here before going to bed, would have been deleted the next morning by the "update". (Luckily I cannot remember if I DID work off-line before bedtime, but it DOES happen).

Why not just tell me, if DB could have placed an invisible temp folder somewhere, to account for the increase in stored data?! I've been doing this for 30 years. Searching for data added in the past week does not account for the 12 GB. And the garbage is emptied.

What can I show you?Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 15.52.36.jpg

Krabut
Helpful | Level 5

PS: The same dropbox-installer opened on my backup, when I tried booting from it. 

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info @Krabut.

I see in your screenshot that you're looking at an account that's part of a team -judging by your Dropbox folder's name- do you happen to have a personal account connected with that one? 

Can you take a look at your account's plan tab through the app's preferences to check if you've connected your accounts at some point? 

Let me know what you find! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Krabut
Helpful | Level 5

Are you unaware that the dropbox installer copies the old dropbox folder, renames it (old), installs a new db folder and proceeds to sync all of the content from the DB cloud?

It also does NOT mention this, meaning that any work done on anything by way of symbolic links into the dropbox folder, eg Finder folders in the Finder window hierachy in OSX, is done on files and folders in the OLD dropbox folder, meaning that once one discovers the existance of the (old) folder, one has to manually copy all worked-on-files and all sorting done to the NEW dropbox folder, causing hours of extra work added to an already over-crowded scedule.

Should I simply send YOU a bill, I wonder?

I dispise your "big ways" - "we-own-you-ways", DropBox. Yes, talking to you. [middle finger].

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Krabut Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?