Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After trying to relink the desktop app to the existing folder, the app is stuck. Any ideas?

monaronyc
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Group! We had to reimage a computer because of a bad hard disk and now that the computer is back online we are trying to relink the Dropbox folder that lives on an external drive. There's just too much data for the DB folder to live on the small internal SSD drive. When we signed back into DB and tried relinking the DB folder from the external disk, the DB app is stuck spinning at starting. And all the folder icons are spinning blue with the sync icon. it's been well over a few hours with no avail. Anything else we can try?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Relinking Dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @monaronyc,

If the app appears to be stuck at starting it may be due to a large number of files in your Dropbox folder. As a first step, can you please try quitting the Dropbox app and relaunching it to see if it passes the “starting” phase. Also, if you do have a large number of files, let me know if you are using Selective sync.

To close the app you can either do this from the task manager/activity monitor, or through the app settings with these steps:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.
  2. Click the gear icon in the top right.
  3. Choose “Quit Dropbox” from the menu.

Should you be seeing a sync status other than “Starting…”, please let me know what it reads instead of following the above steps. If you see any error messages, please send me a screenshot of this.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Relinking Dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @monaronyc,

If the app appears to be stuck at starting it may be due to a large number of files in your Dropbox folder. As a first step, can you please try quitting the Dropbox app and relaunching it to see if it passes the “starting” phase. Also, if you do have a large number of files, let me know if you are using Selective sync.

To close the app you can either do this from the task manager/activity monitor, or through the app settings with these steps:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.
  2. Click the gear icon in the top right.
  3. Choose “Quit Dropbox” from the menu.

Should you be seeing a sync status other than “Starting…”, please let me know what it reads instead of following the above steps. If you see any error messages, please send me a screenshot of this.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?