cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Our Community can help you set up and make Dropbox work for you. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

After uninstalling the desktop app, I can't link it to the original Dropbox folder. What can I do?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have been trying to solve a "Dropbox Unexpectedly Quit" issue.  It has been going on for a few days.  I tried the simple reinstall several times and that did not work. 

Now I am trying the clean advanced re-install as suggested in this topic:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Dropbox-unexpectedly-quit/td-p/375056

The problem I have now is that my old Dropbox directory was C:\Dropbox.  When I re-install DropBox it automatically puts the Dropbox directory in my Windows user folder.  Then I try to tell it to use C:\Dropbox instead and it renames to original directory to Dropbox (Old) and then creates a new Dropbox folder and starts redownloading every file.  How do I get it to use the existing dropbox folder and just sync the files instead of redownloading everything when I do the re-install?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox unexpectedly quit.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @kircherc!

That behaviour does sound strange indeed.

What I can suggest trying to quickly resolve this for you is to follow these steps and if the app creates a new folder, allow the desktop app to start syncing.

As soon as the app starts syncing to the new Dropbox folder, you can pause syncing.

While the app is paused, you can copy and paste (or move if you don't have hard drive space) the content from Dropbox (Old) to the new syncing Dropbox folder.

Once everything is moved over, you can then resume syncing. The app will then index and check the files within the Dropbox folder and sync only pending changes to your files.

Just to note, sometimes when the app is indexing your files, it can show "Syncing/ Uploading/ Downloading" in the sync status, but it won't resync all of your data.

Let me know if this helps you to get back on track!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @kircherc, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

I'd suggest first to unlink the desktop app, if you haven't already. 

Then, after you've signed into the app, you'll see an option for "Advanced settings" where you can choose the Dropbox folder location.

Just to note, you'll need to choose the parent folder, rather than the Dropbox folder itself. 

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne

This is what I have been trying and it does not work.  I tried unlinking the device first and it still did not work.

I run the installer, sign in to my account, tell it to sync all files locally, and then before setup completes I go to Advanced Settings and select "C:" for the parent folder. 

Then it brings up a window with the title "There's already a folder named Dropbox." and it says "Dropbox will rename your existing folder named "Dropbox" to finish installing.  

If you proceed it renames the existing folder to "Dropbox (Old)", creates a new folder called "Dropbox", and then tries to start downloading ALL 30 GB to that new folder.  

I need it to continue to use the existing "Dropbox" folder and not create a new folder to download everything into. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @kircherc!

That behaviour does sound strange indeed.

What I can suggest trying to quickly resolve this for you is to follow these steps and if the app creates a new folder, allow the desktop app to start syncing.

As soon as the app starts syncing to the new Dropbox folder, you can pause syncing.

While the app is paused, you can copy and paste (or move if you don't have hard drive space) the content from Dropbox (Old) to the new syncing Dropbox folder.

Once everything is moved over, you can then resume syncing. The app will then index and check the files within the Dropbox folder and sync only pending changes to your files.

Just to note, sometimes when the app is indexing your files, it can show "Syncing/ Uploading/ Downloading" in the sync status, but it won't resync all of your data.

Let me know if this helps you to get back on track!

Daphne

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

That ended up working.  Thanks

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm really glad to hear that @kircherc!

I'm just a post away if you have any other questions.

Have a great weekend ahead!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?