cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: All my desktop links are gone

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @HnLA, I've sent you a ticket so that we can have a better look into this together. 

Whenever you have the chance, check your inbox and we'll go from there. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

@Lusil@Daphne @Walter @Jane @Jay 

Still having problems after 3 weeks. Support is no help. Currently I opened dropbox.com/home and My PC (W20) is not there. But I still cannot delete that folder on my computer without deleting the regular desktop file. Why is this? What can I do about it. All my desktop icons have gray - sign on them. How do I get DB to release my desktop. SAME QUESTION THREE WEEKS LATER.

Thank you.

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

@Lusil @Daphne @Walter @Jane @Jay 

Please see all the previous messages over the past 3 weeks. It is hard for me to do my work, with my desktop held captive.

I just downloaded a file to the desktop. Why is the Properties/Location ...Dropbox\My Cp\Desktop? Why is it not just the Desktop.

How can I get this to stop.

I wish I could stop posting here, but I have a new computer and DB is ruining the experience of my new computer. Please contact me and help me with this.

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

I guess I am on my own on this. After 3 weeks the DB/My PC is still on my computer and controlling the desktop even though it is not showing up on my files when I open DB on my phone. Files on Desktop are Gray - , but still if I delete under DB/desktop, it deletes the real Desktop files.

Support has only been able to tell me things, I have tried and have not worked. Very Frustrating.

@Lusil @Walter @Daphne @Jane @Jay 

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

I did what I had to do to get rid of My PC on my computer and delete the DB app. @Lusil 

But the desktop is not right. There is a shortcut arrow and I had to change the icon. But there is no location tab. @Walter 

HnLA_1-1613921969302.png

@Daphne 

HnLA_0-1613921941601.png

@Jane    @Jay 

Is there a way to get this back to normal? I copied the desktop to backup drive, then after deleting DB moved them back. At first got error message that there was not link, but then pasted them back and then no error message.

Thank you.

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

I thought I fixed it, but I am back to DB controlling the desktop. I rearranged my icons for the 10th time. And then noticed that someone the Dropbox/Desktop file got back under my user account.  Now the icons on desktop do not respond, saying Directory name is invalid, as it is looking for My PC, which I deleted.

I am beyond frustrated with you and your support.

@Lusil  @Daphne @Walter  @Jane   @Jay 

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

If I delete the Dropbox folder, then the Desktop does not work even tho if I click open the Desktop folder all the icons are there.

This is what I have been trying to fix for 4 weeks. DB will not release my desktop. Can you understand that? How do I fix this? I have tried everything. Please help.

HnLA_0-1613924772570.png

This is the message I get when I delete the DB folder and try to open files onthe desktop.

HnLA_1-1613924880820.png

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @HnLA, it looks like you're not accessing the direct Desktop link. 

Could you try using the Quick access folder, or the 'This PC' section in the side column of File Explorer, to see if there is a direct link to 'Desktop'? You might need to expand the options to view it.

If you right click and select Properties from there, you should be able to access the Location tab and Restore the default location..

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

@Jay  I think what you are saying is pretty basic and not the problem. I have done what I needed to fix the problem, and right now, it seems that everything is back to normal. The only thing different is the desktop icon in the user/junk4/desktop is a normal folder not the usual blue thing, and there is no way to change it.  It is the blue icon thing under This PC on the left side of windows.

I think and hope I got rid of every trace of DB on my computer.

Jay
Dropboxer
You could try to rebuild the icon cache in Windows, using steps available on the internet, to see if this helps.

However, since these aren't steps related to the Dropbox desktop application, I wouldn't be able to provide any specific steps on how to do this, and would recommend caution since this isn't official advice.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Need more support?