cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All my desktop links are gone

All my desktop links are gone

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

I got my new computer set up.Last thing was to download the Dropbox app, which I rarely use. It started to synch everything on my computer. Then when I deleted things they were deleted from the computer. Now I have to start all over again. This is crazy. I have about 20 files on DB, I are really upset. I was not asked for this.

39 Replies 39

Re: All my desktop links are gone

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

Even the "This PC, and C Drive shortcut were taken off my desktop. !!!!

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

Why when I move something to the desktop is it showing it is synching . I donot want anything to synch with DB. I have my 20 files on there. I now have gray - circles on all my icons. I DO NOT WANT THIS. 

I just want to have the DB app, but not have it take over my computer. I do not understand why and how I can get i back to normal.

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

I deleted all the files but I still have the  "My PC" on DB, How can I get rid of it. I cannot seem to delete this.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @HnLA, thanks for reaching out to us. 

It sounds like computer backup was enabled, which adds computer folders (like Documents, Downloads, and Desktop) to your Dropbox folder. 

You can recover deleted files by following these instructions, and turn off the feature by following the steps mentioned here

Have a look through and let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks @lusil . I had to twice restore the files from my backup drive. Luckily I backed up before installing the infernal DB app. I deleted the app an do not think I will install it ever again on my computer. 

I do not think I did anything other than synch DB files, but it must have been to synch all files, which really was not clear.

I see the drive is still on the DB folder, which I can access on my phone, and there does not seem to be any way to get rid of it, even tho I painstakingly deleted all the files.

When I went to rewind, it wanted to charge me to do that. They whole thing was really frustrating. And after setting up my computer, addding DB was the last thing and required me to do a lot of extra work to fix.

I do not want to recover deleted files, I wanted to take them off DB and put them back on my computer where they were. I do not understand why deleting them in DB ALSO DELETED THEM ON MY COMPUTER. THIS IS TERRIBLE.

Lusil
Dropboxer
If computer backup was enabled, then your computer files would be added to your Dropbox folder. 

Due to syncing, any deletions you make in your Dropbox account would reflect on the website and the desktop app. 

As such, when you removed the files from one platform, they were removed from the other. 

However, I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end! Awesome work with the troubleshooting. 

If anything else comes up in the future, don't hesitate to give us another shout. 

Thanks again!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

I just noticed that DB has still taken over my PC. I cannot get rid of the My PC folder in DB. It seems to have control over my Desktop ad Download files. I think I got it to release and go back to normal Download file when I download and attach files. But I cannot get it to release the Desktop. 

The desktop should be C:\Users\junk4\Desktop  not

C:\Users\junk4\Dropbox\My PC (W20)\Desktop

How can I get rid of junk4\Dropbox\My PC (w20)?

I cannot tell you how frustrating this is to have to redo things multiple times and still find DB will not let go of my PC

I guess I have to pay for unwind? thank you.

HnLA
Explorer | Level 3

If I delete files in C:\Users\junk4\Dropbox\My PC (W20)\Desktop it deletes the files in C:\Users\junk4\Desktop which is not good.

I seem to have deleted the files, but not the folders in DB, but it is not releasing on my PC, so that I can delete the DB folder. 

please help me get this fixed. 

Lusil
Dropboxer
If you have uninstalled the desktop app, the Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your computer. 

In this case, you can reset the folder path to the default one for the files in questions. 

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?