cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Locky corruption

All of my file extensions have been changed?

Brian B.7
New member | Level 1

I believe my files have be attacked. All of the pdf extensions have been changed to locky extensions. What can I do?

Thanks

25 Replies 25

Rich
Super User II

Your computer (or another computer connected to your account) has likely become infected with some ransomware known as a cryptolocker or cryptowall (there are not many variants and names for them). It encrypts all your files and holds them for ransom. Make sure all your systems are clean, then you can restore your files.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/8408
https://www.dropbox.com/help/400
https://www.dropbox.com/help/11

Some info that will help determine which computer is infected...

If the only files that are encrypted are located in a shared folder, then another member of that share is infected. Find out who last changed the files through the Events page or Trash page, kick them out of the share and tell them they're infected.

If the only files that are encrypted are in your entire Dropbox but not anywhere else on your computer, then another computer connected to your account is the one infected. Figure out which one it is (again, through the Events page) and unlink it from the account, then clean it.

If all of the files on your computer are encrypted, even outside of the Dropbox folder, then yours is the infected machine. Get it cleaned and then you can restore your files.

Adrián C.1
New member | Level 1

Hello. I have the same issue that Brian does. I understand wht i have to do, but could anyone tell me where can I request to Dropbox team to revert changes to a previous moment (email, request pages,...) Thanks.

Rich
Super User II

Follow the information listed in the Restore a large number of files section of the first link that I posted.

Rachael G.1
New member | Level 1

We are having the same issue today. How do we determine how this started?

Rich
Super User II

Refer to my first post from Tuesday.

George R.7
New member | Level 1

We have a serious problem - more than 170,000 files affected with many users.  We followed the advice to get the whole account backed up - i.e. to contact your help desk but it took many days for there to be an answer and when the answer came it was off point as though the person answering had not read the complaint.  Even now we have an address to reply to the responses take many hours (the promise is "one business day which presumably mean we will hear back after the weekend).and we have a serious problem which cannot be allowed to continue.  is there any way of making direct contact with someone who will give their full attention to us for an hour or so?  Most helplines have at least a on line chat facility and someone who pays continuous attention.  Don't you have anything like this?  We have been trying to sort this a week now and we are starting to despair of dropbox.  This is a serious security problem for you as well as us and effectively makes a cloud file sharing system too dangerous for us to use.  One person who picks up a locky style virus can bring the whole of dropbox down for us.  You need to treat this more seriously,

Lymperis T.
New member | Level 1
Rich R. February 16, 2016 22:35

Follow the information listed in the Restore a large number of files section of the first link that I posted.

Its impossible to do that when it evolves a numerous files and folders and the events are more or less 85.000 !!!!

We need an account restore and we are not getting it.

Cloud A.
New member | Level 1

Somos usuario del Dropbox pro y ayer  nos entró un virus locky que nos ha encriptado miles de archivos.

como usuarios es imposible poder restaurarlos de forma masiva y solo podemos hacerlo "uno a uno". Para recuperarlos hemos de enviar email a soporte de dropbox para que nos lo hagan y esto desespera un poco ya que no tenemos ni respuesta ni tiempo de resolución.

Rich
Super User II

Un correo electrónico no es suficiente. Usted tiene que abrir un ticket. Siga las instrucciones que he publicado en la parte superior de esta página

Need more support?