cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An app freezes when viewing a folder with many files in Dropbox

An app freezes when viewing a folder with many files in Dropbox

mom2kjs
Helpful | Level 6

I use Dropbox to store all of my digital scrapbooking elements. I have a lot stored within several different folders and each time I try to retrieve elements from Dropbox from within Affinity Photo (iPad) I get freezing, crashing, etc and it is super frustrating. I've done everything I need to make sure it isn't the Affinity Photo app so I thought I'd ask here if there could be an issue with accessing folders that are 'too' full.  

EX: One of my folders has over 1,000 psd files. 

I've used only 16.6% of my 2TB so....not sure what, if anything is going on.

Thanks for your help!

9 Replies 9

Re: Can a folder be too full?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @mom2kjs, thanks for joining the Community!

There isn’t necessarily an issue with large numbers of files in folders, however, there is a possibility that other apps might not be able to view the files for their own reasons.

Does it only affect that app when viewing the folder? Are you able to view the files in the folder on the Dropbox site or in your Explorer/Finder window?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mom2kjs
Helpful | Level 6

Oh, I can see the files no problem it is just that retrieving from Dropbox is either exceptionally slow or it freezes completely.

mom2kjs
Helpful | Level 6

What you changed my question to at the top isn't accurate to the problem that I am having. I can see the files, no problem, it is just that it is either exceedingly slow to retrieve or it freezes completely.

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the clarification. Are you only experiencing this issue with that app, or does it occur in order apps and services?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mom2kjs
Helpful | Level 6

I really only use it for that app...it is my entire purpose for having Dropbox. I will use the Dropbox app to look at other things I might have saved there but I don't need to pull from Dropbox into other apps. Does that make sense?

Jay
Dropboxer

I understand what you mean.

If the app itself is having issues loading the large folder, then perhaps you can try creating a subfolder and moving the majority of your files there that you’re not currently using to see if this helps speed things up for you.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

mom2kjs
Helpful | Level 6

Yeah, that was kinda my thought too, maybe move half the files (I keep them alphabetically) into another file and see if that helped or even just move what I'm using out of that folder and back when done. I just wonder if anyone else has had this issue or if you've heard of it before? 🤷🏼‍:female_sign:

Jay
Dropboxer

I’ve not personally heard of any issues with this app, however, I can leave this thread open for now for other users to comment on it to see if they’re experiencing the same behavior!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

mom2kjs
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you...I appreciate your thoughts!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mom2kjs Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?