cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Andriod v4 tablet won't sign into Dropbox App

Andriod v4 tablet won't sign into Dropbox App

marky000
Helpful | Level 6

Hi

So, I have a 2 tablets running Android v4.0.4. Only way I could update that would be to use a custom firmware since thy are old Samsung tablets. Up to a month ago, they were both working fine but I was using a very old Dropbox version v2.0.9. 

The initial error message was "unknown error". Then after trying some things, the error was "enter a valid email address". 

I manged to get one of the tablets to sign in. I think I achieved that by clearing the Dropbox app data cache but that could have been co-incidence. I also removed all old devices that were linked to the Dropbox account. The account in question does have unlimited devices but it seemed like a useful step.

However, on one tablet, it simple will not sign in. I have tried Dropbox v2, Dropbox v3 without any luck. Yes, people will say your setup is too old but I am singed in fine on an identical tablet running Android v4.04 and Dropbox 2.0.9.

Please, any suggestions would be appreciated. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Andriod v4 tablet won't sign into Dropbox App

marky000
Helpful | Level 6

I managed to solve the issue. 

Now, on to the next issue. I notice opening documents like PDF files inside Dropbox, a default 3rd party app such as Adobe can be chosen to open PDF files by default. However, if opening up HTM files, cannot set a default app, meaning I have to select which browser I want to use each time. I think this has been happening for a long time but might be time to solve it.

I suspect it is related to fact that the DB text editor is one of the choices when opening the HTM files. If that can somehow be disabled (i.e. removed from the choices), the standard "use by default for this action" may be offered. Logic tells me the DB text editor is integrated into the Dropbox app itself so I may have to accept there is no solution. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi @marky000, I hope you're well today!

Since you mentioned that unlinking older devices, is it possible that this tablet is still showing as connected in your security tab online?

If so, I can suggest unlinking this and see if that will allow you to sign in fresh from this device.

As the device no longer meets the minimum requirements, there is limited troubleshooting we can do with you on this I'm afraid.

Having said that, to cover all bases, you can check out your Support options from here.

I hope this helps to some extent!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

marky000
Helpful | Level 6

2 devices exact same model. I only see one of them in device list. I don't really want to risk unlinking the other one in case that one also wont sign in later.

Multiple tickets raised and still not even a partial explanation of what has occurred here. Disappointing !!!!

marky000
Helpful | Level 6

I managed to solve the issue. 

Now, on to the next issue. I notice opening documents like PDF files inside Dropbox, a default 3rd party app such as Adobe can be chosen to open PDF files by default. However, if opening up HTM files, cannot set a default app, meaning I have to select which browser I want to use each time. I think this has been happening for a long time but might be time to solve it.

I suspect it is related to fact that the DB text editor is one of the choices when opening the HTM files. If that can somehow be disabled (i.e. removed from the choices), the standard "use by default for this action" may be offered. Logic tells me the DB text editor is integrated into the Dropbox app itself so I may have to accept there is no solution. 

Daphne
Dropboxer
Can you check the following option @marky000?

Go to the Android Settings > Apps > Find the Dropbox app > Clear defaults.

Once you've done that, do you see any difference when trying to open the files?

If not, can you send along a screenshot of the options you see there?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    marky000 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?