Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Exported (Save to device) photos would not appear in gallery or selection dialogs

dmg_2020
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox for Android (v176.2.8, tested with number of Android smartphones v9++)

...has a nasty issue - when a number of photos is exported (save to device, any folder chosen - Downloads, DCIM root, DCIM camera, etc, guaranteed to have no NOMEDIA) these photos would never appear in any 'recent photos', not picked up by phone's gallery or visible in any photo selection dialog - effectively they bypass the file registration system on Android. The file manager would see those pictures with correct file names and in a correct (chosen) location, those pictures could be opened from the file manager or via desktop/USB connection file explorer but they would not be visible with any of standard image access tools.

This is clearly a bug that must be fixed.

Is there a workaround to fix this?

8 Replies 8

Re: Android: Exported (Save to device) photos would not appear in gallery or selection dialogs

dmg_2020
Explorer | Level 3

p.s. when I save a single photo (Export -> Save to Device) it would be visible in gallery app and in all photo/image selector dialog.

It does not work when there is a selection of photos is saved

Obviously, it is boring and really stupid to click and save every single photo individually, especially when you have few dozens to save...

Re: Android: Exported (Save to device) photos would not appear in gallery or selection dialogs

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @dmg_2020, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you, I'll just need a bit more info. For example:

• Are you not able to see bulk exports consistently or is it only for a short period of time?
  • Do you experience the same behavior after you reboot your device as well?
  • Does this happen when you download files from your mobile's browser?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

dmg_2020
Explorer | Level 3

It is much simpler than that.

It does not depend on any timing, I just select let me say 10 images (jpeg files with standard .jpg extension) click 'export' -> 'save to device' -> choose folder ...

the download process would start and the images WOULD BE saved in selected folder

but those images WOULD NOT be available in standard LG gallery app, Samsung gallery app or even in Google's Photo App, they would never be available in any of 'open file/image selection dialogs'.

Effectively, the saved images behave like they were stored in NOMEDIA-tagged folder while they are saved in a regular folder.

If I will save those 10 images one by one using the same 'export' -> 'save to device' -> the same folder - they would appear in all galleries and selection dialogs.

The devices I use are kept in a good condition, all updates applied, rebooted, plenty of available storage.

I haven't tried web interface, just the native Android app - but thanks for the idea, the browser might behave differently.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the detailed reply, @dmg_2020!

I'd be happy to create a ticket for you so that we have a more in-depth look on this together. 

Before that though, could you try downloading from the web and let me know what you see?

Thanks again!

Lusil

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

dmg_2020
Explorer | Level 3

Hello!

I've tried to use the browser (Chrome, up to date version, Android) but it saves multiple selection as a single .zip file - so it works differently than App that saves files individually.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for trying that out for me, @dmg_2020

I've sent you a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile, so please check your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

dmg_2020
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, Lusil!

I can see your email and a link to zendesk but my correct username and password are not accepted -

dzen.jpg

thank you!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No worries, @dmg_2020 I just saw your reply and have made sure to get back to you. 

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?