cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Android auto backup should support RAW file formats (i.e. DNG)

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1
  • Android 5.x introduced support for capturing photos in RAW on compatible devices.

• Several third-party apps already make it possible to capture images in DNG.

• Dropbox app currently ignores DNG files in the DCIM folder and it only uploads JPGs.

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Re: Android auto backup should support RAW file formats (i.e. DNG)

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I'm voting +1 for this expected support

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

+1 for this feature. My OnePlus One supports DNG for about a year now. LG G4 also has ability to shoot raw.
I also would like to see a sub-feature - backup DNG to the cloud and delete it locally, while keeping JPG version locally.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Voting +1 to this, just having discovered this limitation in the Dropbox Camera Upload feature on my LG G4. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle to add the file type to the auto backup feature?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I too +1 / want this option added to Dropbox Android.  Just got a Note 5 and have to remember to manually upload the RAW/DNG files every time I shoot in Pro mode.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

My Note 5 does .dng ,  and it's a royal pain to transfer them.   I'm paying $10 / mo for Dropbox, it should load any file in DCIM folder,  I don't care if Carousel only shows .jpgs.  I'm OK if Carousel just ignores raw files

Currently, one good alternative is Bittorrent  Sync

The more painful way is using file manager to "share" the raw file to Dropbox.... no easy way to group select

Lastly, Dropbox could fix this by providing some sort of user configurable copy rules from the mobile file system to Dropbox 

JMO

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

@Mike M: until Dropbox will support RAW files, I manage loading raw into Dropbox with Dropsync https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ttxapps.dropsync 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

While Dropsync is ok, you have to pay the $5.99 to upload DNG due to size (all of mine are >25MB).  The cost of Dropsync isn't the issue (of course it is one more app on my phone using battery and constantly monitoring for activity) - it should be a simple, no-brainer (yes, I have done programming in the past so I know what I am talking about) for Dropbox to add an option to allow users to control what files are considered "Photos" or "Photos and videos".  I wonder what format videos they support?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

If I'm already paying a premium (compared to other services) for DropBox, why should I have to pay 60% extra for DropSync....   I'm really PO'd w/DropBox until they support natively DNGs w/o extras.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Workoaround fro Android; Install raw2dng, compress your dng files and then let Dropsync transfer to dropbox and delete the dngs of your mobile.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?